Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Hero 8 and what they don't tell you.

I've just recently bought a Hero 8 and large microSD card only to find Quik is useless - it will download but won't display the files as media; my computer won't play the MP4 files and the phone I use when I'm out on the trails must have Android 10 (for those without Android 10 that means buying a new mobile phone) and none of this is told in the info on the website or anywhere that promotes the new Hero 8.

Not a good showing.  I want to view my footage on the TV but I'm restricted to a 6" screen (mobile phone).

So what was the point of having a Hero 8.  Not a lot as far as I can see.  Unless I can view or edit the media files on my computer I'll be ditching the Hero 8 in favour of the old Hero 5.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 8 and what they don't tell you.

Hello @quickcliff20263. Quik for desktop should be able to playback media captured by your HERO8 Black camera. Do you get any error message when you try to access your Gopro media through it? See if your computer meets the system requirements necessary for playback depending on the resolution settings used. 

In the same way, you do not have to use an Android 10 device in order to view and edit your GoPro footage. We were just able to access footage from a HERO8 Black camera using a Samsung phone running on Android 9.

See also if you will be able to view your media through these programs

Highlighted
Hiker

Quik for Desktop won't do anything except download and won't display the files under Media.  Any attempt to view gets the error "0xc00d5212".

I'm running an i9; Windows 10 Pro; 64Gb RAM; 64bit system so there's nothing wrong with my setup.  It's your software.  Everything works with my Hero 5 so why not with the latest version Hero 8.  Too me it taken a set backwards not forwards.  Image may have improved but if I can't view it except on a phone what is the point?  The phone I carry whan out only has Android 6 and thus of no use to use with the Hero 8.  Surely it would have seemed probable that the software for the Hero 5 and later could have been updated to include the upgrades found in the Hero 8.

The only plus is the larger microSD card.  Batteries haven't changed.  The side door falls off too easily.

So until I can download though Quik and view the files on my computer I have a useless camera.  What I do next is debateable.

Highlighted
Hiker

So after reading various pages forwarded to me last night I find that my mobile needs a sepecific processor to work - my S5 is obviously old tech yet it works fine for what I want when riding.

So after much hassle both last night and this morning it turns out I needed to purchase a codec to read HEVC files.  If information had been available straight off then a lot of angst would have been avoided.  That now solves the reading of the files.

Editing of the files and rendering to make a complete video has required additional software.  Not what I wanted to end up doing when I set out to purchase the Hero 8.

As for the other issues I raised the batteries with the blue end are no different to those without yet the Hero 8 infers they are so.  The access door still comes off too easily.

So for now Quik does display the data but only time will tell if it lives up to the spec.  

Highlighted
Nomad

Just a quick fact check:

(for those without Android 10 that means buying a new mobile phone)

Untrue, I use a Galaxy S7 (very old) running Android 8.0 and the app works just fine.  I can control my cameras, edit footage and play back footage with no issues.  This ranges from my GoPro Hero 4 blacks, Go Pro Hero 6 blacks, GoPro Hero 8 blacks and my GoPro Fusion.  I can also do the same on my old Samsung S3 tablet.

The issue with not being able to view or edit footage on a windows PC is actually a MICROSOFT issue.  During the fall update of Windows they pulled the native support for H.265 codec.  You can find more information online and how to resolve this issue.  However for playback of files you can download the needed codec for free.  If you want to edit files though you will either have to convert them or pay a whopping $0.99 (yes, that's 99 cents) to Microsoft for the codec.

Highlighted
Hiker

I'm using an S5 so for me it's a non starter.  I have seen a document from GoPro that states it would work with the S7 onwards because of the processor in the phone.

As for editing I don't use Quik but third party video editing software which has required an upgrade to import the HEVC files and subsequently render in the format of choice.

At the end of the day how each individual uses a GoPro will dictate what limitations are encountered and how easy it is to use.  Generally I make up videos that may run up to 1 hour in length.

Finding out any shortcomings after one has purchased what should be the next best GoPro should not be the way to go.  Time will tell how I feel about the Hero 8.