Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 - Windows 10 can see the device but won't cooperate

Bought in the US: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SFXCF1N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just plugged in, stopped my return a couple of weeks back just to see if this would work. Can confirm, it does!

GoPro, this is the last product I ever buy from you, your support is shocking, you clearly don't care for your every day user anymore. Once I'm done with the Hero 8, I'm done with you. Shocking performance.

Tourist

OK... so let's be honest... GoPro's support is AWFUL!

............................however, it has to be said that now we have this issue sorted - it IS a mighty fine piece of kit! :-)

The image is faultless in my opinion.

Hiker

Also, for those that tried all the tricks and simply have this coming up as the portable device thing in Device Manager, leave it plugged in, right click the listing in device manager, uninstall device, unplug and replug the camera back in (whilst it's still on) and Windows will then recognise it as a Hero what ever it is and GoPro's software will instantly recognise it.

Tourist

Sorry to pile on too. But getting the same issue again as others on my desktop PC. Have tried uninstalling the MTP USB device, refomatting the SD Card, checked the driver per the Youtube video someone suggested (I didn't have two). Plugging into my Surface Laptop it gets detect fine though. I guess the next step is to formally as GoPro what's going on.

Sightseer

I also have a Z390 motherboard, and the cable solution lead me to my own solution.. I happened to have this SMK-Link USB C Hub for my Macbook Pro.. I connected it between my regular USB cable and the USB-C on my motherboard, and problem instantly solved.

Brutal that customers had to go through so much **bleep**. I sure won't be buying the extended care package (or whatever it's called).

A little more functionality that just buying a specialty USB "Thunderbolt 3" cable.

https://www.amazon.com/SMK-Link-Mini-Docking-Station-VP6920/dp/B01KA0UR3O/

Thank you everyone!

Sightseer

[ Edited ]

Hi all and merry Christmas,

What a product... **** software :)
Can confirm that the Oracle VirtualBox setup works as well

Just press next, next, next for installation and start up the program + reconnecting the camera (possibly also uinstalling the device from "device manager" as described in other replies.
The device should now show up as "HERO8 BLACK" in device manager, still under portable devices.

NB: The Oracle VirtualBox application have to be running for this to be working.

Wish you all the best!
Br
Frederik

Tourist

Hello All.

Just adding how I got it to work.

My laptop has 4 USB 3.1 ports (blue), 1 USB C port and 1 Thunderbolt port (also C form factor - for those that didn't know).

The cable that came with the Hero8 Black is a USB 2 (white connector) to a USB C.  That did not work at all as in the Hero8 didn't even show it was connected via USB and Windows did not see it in device manager.  It does charge though which makes me believe that is is just a charging cable.

I have a USB C to USB C cable that came with my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+.  I used that in the USB C port.  Like everybody else, in device manager it showed but neither Windows Explorer nor GoPro Quick recognized it.  The Hero8 did show that it was connected via USB.

Using that cable I plugged it into the Thunderbolt port and GoPro Quick immediately launched and Windows Explorer saw the SD card.

I did not do any research before getting my Hero8.  If I did and found the responses from support listed in this thread I would have not gotten it.  Since I was able to get GoPro Quick to work I won't return it. 

When I'm out and about and if anyone asks me about my Hero8 I will let them know that if they think they will need any support to not get a GoPro.

Zyxian

Tourist

Hi, is anyone else still having issues?  My Hero 8 won't connect correctly to my PC (brand new) yet it has not issue with my older laptop.  interestingly both versions of Windows 10 have downloaded slightly different drivers...