Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 - Windows 10 can see the device but won't cooperate

Did you tell him about this thread? How it's currently the largest trending issue with GoPro's?

They surely can't be this oblivious to the issue.

Tourist

I did indeed, but he alluded to the fact this forum wasn't really supported by GoPro anymore... which I guess is evidenced by the complete lack of comment on this subject by GoPro, DESPITE it being many pages long :-(

Sightseer

problem still occurs even with this option.

Tourist

Rif.: Hero 8 - Windows 10 can see the device but won't cooperate

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have the same problem, but I found an alternative solution, maybe it can help some of you:

If i plug in my gopro 8 to my dell xps 15 7590 it makes the connection sound and it appears the device gopro 8 in the device's manager but the folder with my datas doesn't appear, so I can't transfer my datas to the pc...

I tried everything, all my gopro and pc are completely updated, every driver, every sw...

I also tried with Virtualbox and yes it works but it's drammatically slow, it's not the right way, almost impossible to use it.

I'm pretty sure the problem isn't the pc but in the gopro firmware, I think it's not compatible with some of the newer hw or sw of usb 3.1 type A gen 1, and if i directly use a microsd adaptor to my pc it works so it's not an sd issue.

So I bought a Thunderbolt 3 cable and I connected the gopro 8 to the pc using it, so type-c to type-c because my pc has the Thunderbolt 3 port (but I think every type-c would be ok, I don't know) and it worked!

So the problem is between the gopro and the usb 3.1 gen 1 type A port.

If some of you has a type-c or Thunderbolt 3 port you can use it instead of the usb.

Anyway I hope in a Gopro's firmware update to fix this issue.

Tourist

Hi Sightseer

First off - thank you so much for your post.

I confess you have REALLY got my interest hear, because I have the EXACT same laptop - and obviously the same GoPro8... so if you've got it to work - it means there's hope for me / everyone else! :-)

However...

I had previously heard a "USBC to USBC" cable "Might" be the answer and so I bought this one off Amazon...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CWH4ZB9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...and I can confirm this definitely DOES NOT work.

But I'm not an expert here and so are you saying you've used a different kind of cable? If so, might you have a link you could share? :-D

Best regards... Tony

Tourist

Ok so try with a Thunderbolt 3 cable, it has the type-c attack but it's not a common type-c cable, it's a thunderbolt 3 cable, this one worked with me:

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07SH2B2B8/ref=twister_B01GUBH89S?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not in US so try to translate, anyway that cable works fine on my dell xps 15 7590

Tourist

Thank you so much!

Because I'm based in the UK, would you agree this is the same cable (but from the UK version of Amazon?)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Certified-Cable-Matters-Thunderbolt-Supporting/dp/B07SH2B2B8/ref=sr_1_7?key...

Tourist

Yes it seems the same cable, it should work with other laptops too, they just have to have the thunderbolt 3 port IMO.

Anyway I hope Gopro will fix this issue with its next firmware update, it's important Gopro, I know you are reading!