Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 8 - Windows 10 can see the device but won't cooperate

Yeah, I'm boxing mine back up now. Will likely take it back and get the DJI Osmo Action instead. Looking at their forums, their support staff actually pay attention. 

Sightseer

Ive been looking for an answer to this aswell.

I have a ASUS Prime Z390-A with an I7 9700K. Windows 10.

It makes no sense that the GoPRO8 isnt capatable with this MOBO because its a more higher end one... (read this on another forum)

Pretty disappointed because I have footage from my new camera and cant even access it.

When is this going to be fixed??

Sightseer

Well finding this thread is a revalation. My Hero8 works fine on an older low spec HP laptop, but plug it into my brand new Razer and it satys its connected, but isn't. 

Maybe if they get enough feedback they will sort it with an update. 

Who knows

Hiker

I dont know how much response they need.
People informed them about this situation they just dont care and they will tell your its problem in your pc.
Can somebody pass this threat to somebody relevant because support from gopro is really poor.
Tourist

But that's the problem - it's specific to user PC. I have 3, 2 of them recognize Hero 8, one doesn't. Obviously the one I want to use with gopro doesn't recognize the camera as Hero 8, just generic usb mtb device (it does recognize Hero 7 Black and Session 5 tho). I am guessing that system assumed that Hero 8 was some generic device and doesn't want to bother installing proper driver for it OR installs the one from some cache repository. 

Hiker

Its not problem just hero 8, I have same problem with hero 6.
On others pc is working normally and on one its just mtp and it does not appear in explorer.
Tourist

I finally had mine become listed as "Hero8 Black" device and recognized by GoProQuik. Weird part is - I did same thing a few times a couple of weeks ago and it didn't work. There was a Hero8 firmware upgrade recently, so maybe it changed something? Anyway, here are the steps:

1. Unplug GoPro

2. Open device manager (winkey+pause > click device manager, alternatively - winkey+r and type devmgmt.msc)

3. Under View menu enable Show hidden devices

4. Find mobile devices tree, then MTP USB Device (or anything suspicious really), right click and uninstall 

5. Connect GoPro back, Windows will search for a driver and install it. Hopefully it will install a proper driver...

Tourist

I'm having EXACTLY the same issue! Been trying to resolve it for 5 hours!

Mine's a top of the range Dell ( 4 weeks old|) with an I9 processor - so I KNOW it's not the Laptop.

Is there a solution? Certainly taking ten SD card 0out each time ISN'T a solution.

Sadly I've go to go down ten refund route if I can't get this sorted and I REALLY don't want to d that :-(

Regards... Tony

PS. I confess I'm also pretty stunned GoPro hasn't been jumping all over this thread!