Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 8 - Windows 10 can see the device but won't cooperate

I also had the same issue, showing MTP USB Device instead of Hero8 Black.

I tried all USB ports (usb 3.0, usb 2.0)on my PC including a usb-c port, with a pixel usb c to usb c cable. all not working.

However i tried plugging it in via a usb 3.0 hub, and it worked.

Something wierd with windows 10. 

There's some youtube's online that say try to manually update the driver and you get two "MTP USB Device" driver to select, and it works if you select the second one. However i don't have the second one to click on, so couldn't do this.

I did ask gopro support about a driver i can download to do it manually, but they haven't replied.

Motherboard is an MSI Z390m Gaming Edge AC - so a new one. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi All,

I was having the same problem with both my PC and my HP x360 notebook, both with Windows 10.

I managed to solve the PC issue, by going into the GoPro and turning off "Wireless connection"

I struggled for hours on my HP notebook, doing all the things people have suggessted, updating drivers etc. In the end using a 'Targus USB 3.0 hub' solved the issue for me, can now clearly see and access my Hero 8.

Hope this helps!

On a side note, GoPro's quality control is so poor these days. While my Hero 8 has not been too bad so far, i had a shocking experience with the HERO 7, no wonder the business is struggling.

Keiran.

Highlighted
Adventurer

makesure your USB typpe A cable is a 3.0? it is a 2.0 only.  should have a color  of blue on the usb type A innerside?

Highlighted
Tourist

i have the same problem.

Highlighted
Hiker

Yeah, I am struggling with "mtp usb device" instead of hero8 or whatever. What's funny is that Hero7 and Session5 work well on this same device + cables and are showing proper names + launching GoPro Quik, but Hero8 doesn't. I can download the files just fine using this "mtp usb device" connection, but it's a bit more annoying. 

Highlighted
Tourist

I'm having the same issues listed here. I tried turning off Wireless Connections, but that didn't do anything. Also tried 3 different USB 2.0 ports on my laptop. The GoPro says "USB Connected" but doesn't show up as a usable device. Based on the "Device Status" in the screenshot, it looks like the driver never gets setup correctly?

Hero8Black1.PNG
Highlighted
Hiker

Do you get your camera recognized/the drive named as Hero8? If so then it should work fine. Can't you just use explorer to browse it's content? GoPro Quick should see contents too. 

(I don't even have the Hero8 name)

Highlighted
Tourist

I have spent countless hours investigating this problem, reinstalling various Windows 10 versions from scratch on several computers. On some computers it works, on others it simply doesn't. It's not related to Windows 10 version. I'm pretty sure now it is an incompatibility between the new GoPro Hero8/Max and some motherboard chipsets. This is likely due to a specific USB implementation in the new GoPro Hero8/Max, and I hope this is fixable by a firmware update at GoPro side!

Here is another thread about the problem, with other persons having the same issue with the GoPro Max: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Unable-to-access-GoPro-Max-files-through-USB-with-Windows-10/...

On my side I can say at least that the Asus Prime Z390-A is affected by the issue, and maybe all the motherboards using the high-end Z390 Intel chipset are affected...

One curious thing I noticed also, and you can try that if you want as a temporary workaround: install Oracle VirtualBox and launch it in the background (you don't need to run any VM). This will make your GoPro 8 appear in Windows Explorer. I think this is because Oracle VirtualBox installs a USB handler which as a side effect hides the incompatibility... This is not a satisfying solution though, and I noticed the transfer rates are a bit lower when using this workaround.