Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 8 - Windows 10 can see the device but won't cooperate

In short, I can see the device in the device list, it's listed as HERO8 BLACK. I've tried reinstalling the drivers via device manager, I've tried different cables, updating windows, different USB ports. I've factory reset the camera twice. 

No matter what I've done, the device is visible yet I simply can't see the SD card in file explorer nor can GoPro Quik see the camera. I've had it for 5 hours and at this point, I'm seriously regretting diving back to the GoPro side.

Someone please help, and no, I don't have a SD card reader so that's not an option.

Capture.PNG
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 - Windows 10 can see the device but won't cooperate

Also check if the camera's display says "usb connected", meaning that file transfer is activated and not just charging the camera through usb.
Hiker

It does indeed say USB connected.

Hiker

Any other ideas? I'm really frustrated with the **bleep** thing haha

Sightseer

Same problem for me :/ Tried on my PC with Windows 10, and also on a macbook.

On Windows, same problem than OP. On Mac, I'm unable to access my files like a regular external drive, but I am able to view and transfer files through Quik

Sightseer

Same problem for me,  my PC with Windows 10......

Hiker

[ Edited ]

Can those with the issue confirm something? In device manager on Windows, go to portable devices. Do you see a list for MTP USB device?

That's what I have listed, I've tried numerous things to try and get it listed as the GoPro, but no luck. On my wifes PC, the GoPro instantly just works fine, and is listed as a go pro under portable devices.

I've tried installing Windows media packs, removing the MTP USB driver and reinstalling, manually updating my windows version after rolling back. Nothing I do seems to solve it and shy of formatting Windows and reinstalling, I (as a 15 year career long tech support guy) honestly have no idea how to get around this.

And as a result, I'm going to have to go get an SD card reader, but with the door on the Hero 8 being a pain to open, take the battery out and then get the SD card, it's just not practical. 

Sightseer

Hi,

I've tried to figure out why my Gopro Hero 8 that having the same situtation in Windows 10.

Then I plug the USB into USB 2.0 slot and problem solved.

Not sure if it's Gopro Hero 8 didn't well support USB 3.0 (firmware or driver problem).

Will try to find out later by testing by using a USB-C to USB-C cable.