Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 - Windows 10 can see the device but won't cooperate

[ Edited ]

Original OP here. I got a notification regarding legal, with the lack of support from GoPro, there are valid concerns around their lack of ackowledgment on a defective product out of the box. It's a known issue with a 'resolution' of buying a seperate cable to get it to work.

Thus, it falls under several breaches, according to the FTC it can be pushed through legal. At this point, after speaking with some people regarding this, the cost for me to persue this is too much, I will just never buy their product again. It's not so much the lack of appropriate cable to allow the devices to work, it's the lack of ackowledgement and support. 

Shame on you GoPro.

Highlighted
Nomad

I'm wondering if the person distributing legal advice was fully aware of the facts.

Going through the GoPro Hero 8 advertisements it actually doesn't mention anywhere about communication via the supplied USB cable.  Even on the QUIK app page it doesn't mention communication via the supplied usb cable.  So legally, it looks like GoPro didn't falsely advertise anything or make claims about anything.  They can simply claim they included a USB cable for charging purposes only.  The assumption that this cable could be used for pc communication lies soley with the consumer and falls under Caveat emptor.  One may assume that the supplied cable would be for this purpose, but unless it was specifically stated that's what the supplied cable was for, there was no false advertising or claims that the supplied cable would work.  

What seems to complicate this issue is that some users have no issue with having their PC or Laptops communicate with the GoPro while others do face issues.  I myself have had my GoPro Hero 8 refuse to connect with my Laptop via the supplied USB cable (I don't tend to connect this way any due to the 50% bottle neck of speeds) and after switching the cable around various USB ports for 10 minutes it suddenly (without any indication of a system change) started to work using the very first USB port I had tried.  This would indicate that it's usually more of a laptop issue with detecting the GoPro as an MTP device.  Some blame the supplied USB cable, others say it's a chipset issue and drivers need to be manually installed.  

However since the most the GoPro camera can do is use the MTP, this means that only photo's and video's are displayed when connected via USB and therefore access to camera info (such as the serial number, firmware version etc) and performing a manual update are not able to be done when connected in this manner.

In short, connecting via USB is slower, gives you less access to the camera so why the hell would anyone want to connect in this manner?  Get an SD card reader as it's faster and gives you better options.  

Highlighted
Hiker

I use the camera in my motorcycle helmet along with the media mod everyday. Imagine that every time I have to disassemble the entire installation to get to the SD card.  The chipset ion my motherboard is too new, fortunately I have a friend with an older computer. 

BTW  Hero 5 ( friend"s ) camera works fine on stock cable  so -- double WTF

Old camera works fine on my PC

newest camera won't   

HOW THEY DOINT IT ?  

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]
@spryblaze30355

YOU ARE RIGHT SIR 👍🏻
WE BE ALL AGREE WITH YOU 👌🏻
Highlighted
Nomad

Quick bit of USB socket testing.....It is a bit of an oddity.  For instance on a work laptop I plug in the GoPro 8 via the supplied USB cable and the computer briefly does the spinning circle as it's detected the camera but then nothing. 

However I plug it into the laptop docking station into the USB plug socket that has the number "10" written in front of it and the camera is detected without an issue.  According to the manual for the docking station the description is as follows:

USB 3.1 connector Gen 2. Connect a USB-compatible device to transfer data at USB 3.1 speed, up to 10 Gbps. 

However the (2) USB sockets on the laptop are USB 3.1 Gen 1.  They don't seem to be able to recognize the camera via the supplied cable.  1 is an "always on" socket (A) the other seem to be a standard USB 3.1 Gen 1 (B).  Both laptop sockets will however charge the camera via the supplied cable.

With the media mod attached things get complicated even more.  With the media mod attached and plugged into the laptop via the USB socket (B), the camera does not detect it's plugged into a USB port but will charge anyway (it just won't have the "USB CONNECTED" symbol.  It is not detected by the Laptop.

Plugged into the laptop usb socket (A) the camera does indeed detect it's connected via USB.  However it is still not detected by the laptop.

Finally, plugged into the USB 3.1 Gen 2 socket on the docking station with the media mod, both the camera and the laptop see eachother.

So this would seem to indicate that the camera's supplied cable works, but with a USB 3.1 Gen 2 socket and this will work with the camera and the camera with the media mod attached.

Also please note that @danielr15 actually gave some fairly straight forward advice and got trolled for doing so.  He doesn't work for GoPro, he's not endorsed by them or sponsored by them etc.  So "blocking" him would be unwise as he gives some very good advice and had a good in depth knowledge of the camera's and use of their software.  Just because you don't like the answer given, doesn't mean it's not a truthful answer.  So don't bury your head in the sand it's not the way to get things done.

I did the testing above to see if I could find "a" reason why the GP8 and the cable sometimes work and thats what I came up with.  However I think there could be other factors yet to be discovered.  So if you have a GoPro Hero 8 and the cable from GoPro, maybe see if you can identify the USB ports on your PC, see what type they are and also do various connection tests.  I'm going to try and repeat this tomorrow with a 3rd party cable and see if I replicate the results or if there's any difference at all (also need to get the details of the cables in question).  

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

My desktop computer's motherboard has the Z170M chipset - it has a couple 6 - USB 3.0, and 2 - USB 3.1 ( 10 GBPS port headers )..

As long as I'm using the correct IF certified cable, I'm able to plug it into the USB 3.0 ports on the back  as well and they get detected.  If I use the cable supplied with my HERO 8 BLACK, it doesn't work.

I came to the conclusion that if you are using  170 series  chipset or newer from Intel, or using an AMD chipset (X370,X470,X570,B450...) - then you should get a proper cable and it'll get detected in Windows properly for use with Quik.   Some people are unhappy that they can't use the cable GoPro supplied, if you don't want a headache - just by the cable.   Otherwise vote with your wallet in the future and don't purchase a GoPro product going forward - weather's nice right now in the Northern Hemispher, do some hiking, biking and it be a shame not to capture those memories.

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Since this discussion has gotten off-topic and has generated a significant number of interpersonal comments, we have blocked new replies to this specific discussion.