Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 - Windows 10 can see the device but won't cooperate

[ New ]

Had problems with the HERO 7 BLACK and HERO 8 BLACK..

Just doesn't like it when I use the cable that comes with it ( hero 8 black comes with a USB 2 -> USB C cable I believe )..

My notebook, and my desktop ends up detecting it as a MTP USB Device (and GOPRO Quick doesn't see it), but if I use a proper

USB-3.X (blue connector) -> USB-C then it works just fine.    Something with the way the HERO 8 black exposes itself to the OS using a USB-2.0 cable causes it to get detected as an MTP USB Device instead..

The cable that works is the - #A8465011

Anker Powerline II USB-C to USB 3.1 Gen2 Cable(3ft), USB-IF Certified
-
If I plug this into a USB 3 port on my notebook, or my desktop - Go Pro Quik works.   If I use the supplied USB-2 -> USB C cable supplied by GoPro then it doesn't.   Other USB-2 -> USB-C cables don't work either.

Tourist

[ New ]

FIXED

Hi People

I had the same issue as most people on here and through working through a number of different solutions I fixed it and now have a fully working GoPro Hero 8. 

To make life easier for you all I created a 'how to' video and posted it to Youtube to show you how to fix the issues described in this thread.

Here is the link: https://youtu.be/2iMcx7oY7ms

I hope this works for you 

Are you having problems connecting your GoPro Hero 8 or 7 to your laptop? The reason is NOT your laptop, it's the GoPro no matter what tech support is saying...
GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing. @gparsons07 

We'll also have this forwarded to the team.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Uninstalling portable device didn't work for most people here. I think using thunderbolt cable or Oracle VirtualBox worked for most.

Hiker

[ New ]

Tested the following cables

• Cable Matters - USB 3.1 Type C to Type-A Gen 2 Cable (1M) and it works just fine as well.   It's part number is 2010041-BLK-1M-US.
  • Anker - Poweline II USB-C to USB 3.1 Gen 2 able (3FT) - it's part number is A8465011.

Both are USB-IF Certified USB 3.1 Gen 2 Cables and work fine on both my notebook (Intel) and my desktop (Ryzen) USB 3.X ports.  The HERO 8 gets detected as HERO 8 Black, and not MTP USB Device under Windows 10.   If I use the short USB cable that GoPro included witht the 8 (looks like it's a USB 2 cable -> USB C) then the HERO 8 only gets detected as MTP USB Device (QUIK doesn't detect it).  

Honeslty, this is probably a compatbility issue with the HERO 8 BLACK on USB 3 controllers, they ought to fix it with a firmware update as the same problem seems to happen as well on the HERO 7 BLACK.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Tourist

[ New ]

Buenas tardes, sacaron un nuevo firmware:

NEW Latest release:
HERO8 Black v1.60 | January 23, 2020

pueden chequear si con esto se soluciona el driver MTP?

no tengo la cámara en este momento para probarlo.

Hiker

[ New ]

Do you have a link to the firmware?

Going to their site - only the v1.5 shows up for the HERO 8 black.   Quik doesn't report a new firmware as well - maybe they haven't updated and or made it available for download yet.