Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 8 - Windows 10 can see the device but won't cooperate

[ New ]

In short, I can see the device in the device list, it's listed as HERO8 BLACK. I've tried reinstalling the drivers via device manager, I've tried different cables, updating windows, different USB ports. I've factory reset the camera twice. 

No matter what I've done, the device is visible yet I simply can't see the SD card in file explorer nor can GoPro Quik see the camera. I've had it for 5 hours and at this point, I'm seriously regretting diving back to the GoPro side.

Someone please help, and no, I don't have a SD card reader so that's not an option.

Capture.PNG
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 - Windows 10 can see the device but won't cooperate

[ New ]
Also check if the camera's display says "usb connected", meaning that file transfer is activated and not just charging the camera through usb.
Hiker

[ New ]

It does indeed say USB connected.

Hiker

[ New ]

Any other ideas? I'm really frustrated with the **bleep** thing haha

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same problem for me :/ Tried on my PC with Windows 10, and also on a macbook.

On Windows, same problem than OP. On Mac, I'm unable to access my files like a regular external drive, but I am able to view and transfer files through Quik

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same problem for me,  my PC with Windows 10......

Hiker

[ New ]

Can those with the issue confirm something? In device manager on Windows, go to portable devices. Do you see a list for MTP USB device?

That's what I have listed, I've tried numerous things to try and get it listed as the GoPro, but no luck. On my wifes PC, the GoPro instantly just works fine, and is listed as a go pro under portable devices.

I've tried installing Windows media packs, removing the MTP USB driver and reinstalling, manually updating my windows version after rolling back. Nothing I do seems to solve it and shy of formatting Windows and reinstalling, I (as a 15 year career long tech support guy) honestly have no idea how to get around this.

And as a result, I'm going to have to go get an SD card reader, but with the door on the Hero 8 being a pain to open, take the battery out and then get the SD card, it's just not practical. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,

I've tried to figure out why my Gopro Hero 8 that having the same situtation in Windows 10.

Then I plug the USB into USB 2.0 slot and problem solved.

Not sure if it's Gopro Hero 8 didn't well support USB 3.0 (firmware or driver problem).

Will try to find out later by testing by using a USB-C to USB-C cable.

Tourist

[ New ]

I also had the same issue, showing MTP USB Device instead of Hero8 Black.

I tried all USB ports (usb 3.0, usb 2.0)on my PC including a usb-c port, with a pixel usb c to usb c cable. all not working.

However i tried plugging it in via a usb 3.0 hub, and it worked.

Something wierd with windows 10. 

There's some youtube's online that say try to manually update the driver and you get two "MTP USB Device" driver to select, and it works if you select the second one. However i don't have the second one to click on, so couldn't do this.

I did ask gopro support about a driver i can download to do it manually, but they haven't replied.

Motherboard is an MSI Z390m Gaming Edge AC - so a new one. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi All,

I was having the same problem with both my PC and my HP x360 notebook, both with Windows 10.

I managed to solve the PC issue, by going into the GoPro and turning off "Wireless connection"

I struggled for hours on my HP notebook, doing all the things people have suggessted, updating drivers etc. In the end using a 'Targus USB 3.0 hub' solved the issue for me, can now clearly see and access my Hero 8.

Hope this helps!

On a side note, GoPro's quality control is so poor these days. While my Hero 8 has not been too bad so far, i had a shocking experience with the HERO 7, no wonder the business is struggling.

Keiran.

Adventurer

[ New ]

makesure your USB typpe A cable is a 3.0? it is a 2.0 only.  should have a color  of blue on the usb type A innerside?

Tourist

[ New ]

i have the same problem.

Hiker

[ New ]

Yeah, I am struggling with "mtp usb device" instead of hero8 or whatever. What's funny is that Hero7 and Session5 work well on this same device + cables and are showing proper names + launching GoPro Quik, but Hero8 doesn't. I can download the files just fine using this "mtp usb device" connection, but it's a bit more annoying. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm having the same issues listed here. I tried turning off Wireless Connections, but that didn't do anything. Also tried 3 different USB 2.0 ports on my laptop. The GoPro says "USB Connected" but doesn't show up as a usable device. Based on the "Device Status" in the screenshot, it looks like the driver never gets setup correctly?

Hero8Black1.PNG
Hiker

[ New ]

Do you get your camera recognized/the drive named as Hero8? If so then it should work fine. Can't you just use explorer to browse it's content? GoPro Quick should see contents too. 

(I don't even have the Hero8 name)

Tourist

[ New ]

I have spent countless hours investigating this problem, reinstalling various Windows 10 versions from scratch on several computers. On some computers it works, on others it simply doesn't. It's not related to Windows 10 version. I'm pretty sure now it is an incompatibility between the new GoPro Hero8/Max and some motherboard chipsets. This is likely due to a specific USB implementation in the new GoPro Hero8/Max, and I hope this is fixable by a firmware update at GoPro side!

Here is another thread about the problem, with other persons having the same issue with the GoPro Max: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Unable-to-access-GoPro-Max-files-through-USB-with-Windows-10/...

On my side I can say at least that the Asus Prime Z390-A is affected by the issue, and maybe all the motherboards using the high-end Z390 Intel chipset are affected...

One curious thing I noticed also, and you can try that if you want as a temporary workaround: install Oracle VirtualBox and launch it in the background (you don't need to run any VM). This will make your GoPro 8 appear in Windows Explorer. I think this is because Oracle VirtualBox installs a USB handler which as a side effect hides the incompatibility... This is not a satisfying solution though, and I noticed the transfer rates are a bit lower when using this workaround.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi,

for me, the solution was to use a certified SD card.

List available here: https://fr.gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations#HERO8_MAX

Regards

Franck

Sightseer

[ New ]

I am also having the same issue. I found a temporary way of getting around this. It's a bit tedious, but it's a way of extracting your files. 

This only works if you're able to connect your mobile device to your GoPro. Select all media files that you want to transfer and download it to the app on your phone. Then al of the selected items should appear in the app's media tab. From there you can transfer the files directly to your phone's memory.

I've noticed that longer videos (30+ min) were chopped down to 7-8min videos.Other than that, this method has helped me a decent amount

Tourist

[ New ]

Easiest method i've found is just to take out the Micro SD card, and use an USB card reader.

Gopro quik does recognise it as a gopro SD card.

Adventurer

[ New ]

I had this issue   on teh Hero 8 purchase I hit a wrong   key.

I simply removed  the file in devices. and in device manager  the usb. and rebooted the pc , retried again  works fine.  just needed a restart.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi,
Im having same issue here... any solution?
Z390 as well...

Sightseer

[ New ]

hi.

i have the same or similar issue. gopro hero 8 black appears in windows 10 as MTP USB device. GoPro Quik doesnt see the camera. camera is inaccessible form PC eventho display on gopro cam says "USB connected".

2 devices appear in windows device manager and in Devices and Printers after connecting gopro to PC.

see screenshot.

tested with HP Omen laptop with all updates and latest drivers.

gopro8usb.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

Chatted with support today. They're saying that anything older than an Intel i7 can't connect to the computer.  When I attempted to explain to them that it's not a Quik software issue, but the camera is not being recognized as a USB device at all, they simply said that the camera works and it's a problem with my PC. 

Support has really gotten poor with GoPro. May just have to return this and go with a different camera company. 

Sounds like they're not doing anything around this. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Yea, I actually returned mine. I'm not going through all the faff trying to get it to work with my PC nor having to buy additional items to get something that should just work. And the whole i7 argument is utter BS. My wife has an identical PC to mine aside from a 1080 ti graphics card where I have a 2080 ti. Yet it works flawlessly on hers.

Shame on you GoPro, accept the fault and fix it. I won't be buying GoPro again, that's for sure.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yeah, I'm boxing mine back up now. Will likely take it back and get the DJI Osmo Action instead. Looking at their forums, their support staff actually pay attention. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Ive been looking for an answer to this aswell.

I have a ASUS Prime Z390-A with an I7 9700K. Windows 10.

It makes no sense that the GoPRO8 isnt capatable with this MOBO because its a more higher end one... (read this on another forum)

Pretty disappointed because I have footage from my new camera and cant even access it.

When is this going to be fixed??

Tourist

[ New ]

Well finding this thread is a revalation. My Hero8 works fine on an older low spec HP laptop, but plug it into my brand new Razer and it satys its connected, but isn't. 

Maybe if they get enough feedback they will sort it with an update. 

Who knows

Hiker

[ New ]
I dont know how much response they need.
People informed them about this situation they just dont care and they will tell your its problem in your pc.
Can somebody pass this threat to somebody relevant because support from gopro is really poor.
Hiker

[ New ]

But that's the problem - it's specific to user PC. I have 3, 2 of them recognize Hero 8, one doesn't. Obviously the one I want to use with gopro doesn't recognize the camera as Hero 8, just generic usb mtb device (it does recognize Hero 7 Black and Session 5 tho). I am guessing that system assumed that Hero 8 was some generic device and doesn't want to bother installing proper driver for it OR installs the one from some cache repository. 

Hiker

[ New ]
Its not problem just hero 8, I have same problem with hero 6.
On others pc is working normally and on one its just mtp and it does not appear in explorer.
Hiker

[ New ]

I finally had mine become listed as "Hero8 Black" device and recognized by GoProQuik. Weird part is - I did same thing a few times a couple of weeks ago and it didn't work. There was a Hero8 firmware upgrade recently, so maybe it changed something? Anyway, here are the steps:

1. Unplug GoPro

2. Open device manager (winkey+pause > click device manager, alternatively - winkey+r and type devmgmt.msc)

3. Under View menu enable Show hidden devices

4. Find mobile devices tree, then MTP USB Device (or anything suspicious really), right click and uninstall 

5. Connect GoPro back, Windows will search for a driver and install it. Hopefully it will install a proper driver...

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm having EXACTLY the same issue! Been trying to resolve it for 5 hours!

Mine's a top of the range Dell ( 4 weeks old|) with an I9 processor - so I KNOW it's not the Laptop.

Is there a solution? Certainly taking ten SD card 0out each time ISN'T a solution.

Sadly I've go to go down ten refund route if I can't get this sorted and I REALLY don't want to d that :-(

Regards... Tony

PS. I confess I'm also pretty stunned GoPro hasn't been jumping all over this thread!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Mine was under portable devices. Unintalled. Replugged gopro 8 in and nothing. Same exact thing.

You would think when they made the gopro 8 they plugged it into a higher end computer right..?

Sightseer

[ New ]

This is not just Z390-A. I've got a system on Intel B360-A PRO with Core i5. The same thing with MTP USB in Portable devices and no show in the explorer. An interesting thing that Settings-> Bluetooth&Other Devices properly shows Hero8 in the list of Other devices.

Tourist

[ New ]

Tyank you Dzejlo

Mine was also under "Portable Devices" and although I tried your (much appreciated) suggestion (and everything else I can think of) still no joy.

If anyone has any other ideas I'd LOVE to hear them! I'm going away tomorrow and am desperate for a solution :-(

Best regards... Tony

Hiker

[ New ]
My new pc (with z390) is one month old and other things are working properly. So IM SURE its not problem with my pc, there is definetly problem on gp side. (Maybe last fw for gp6?)
Another things is that my gp is working just in usb 3 port. In usb 2 in device list there is shown correct hero 6 but in device manager its mtp only.
Tourist

[ New ]

I confess I'm truly amazed that this thread is over a month old AND GP HAVEN'T CHIPPED IN WITH EVEN ONE SUGGESTION!

I really want to LOVE this camera... but to have to remove the world's smallest/fiddliest SD card (after first removing cover AND battery) in order to get at the footage, is honestly a joke.

I hate to complaining, but we CAN'T SURELY be the ONLY people with this issue - and I must emphasise I have a top-end Laptop with ALL drivers and windows bang up to date.

I spent an hour with Dell technical support today - (and five hours working on finding a solution myself) come on GP - PLEASE give us some support on this issue.

...Tony

Tourist

[ New ]

This is a great solution that worked for me. In your step 4 just look for the "Portable Devices" tree and continue with the rest of the directions. Great job! Thank you!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Проблема такая у всех у кого более менее новое железо.

На старом ноутбуке работает отлично, а вот на новом - беда.

Удаление usb MTP не помогло, т.к. 10 ставит его обратно.

Нужен правильный драйвер. Вопрос в том какой нам нужен драйвер???

Sightseer

[ New ]

Sadly, still doesnt work for me.

Anyday GoPro....

Tourist

[ New ]

Quick update... Just spoken to Technical Support and the person I spoke to suggested I connect using GoPro Quik. I explained I had tried that already (several times) and it didn't work and he then said... that's all he could suggest!

Seriously!?

I was, of course, polite and asked for a call back from his supervisor, who I am hoping will have a better technical knowledge and he said he would arrange this and put the phone down. I'll update this thread once I've had that call.

Adventurer

[ New ]

I had this same issue.  I  restarted my laptop and that fixed it.  I simply removed the device and the usb por, and reinserted and on restart  all worked.

Hiker

[ New ]

Updated my camera, tried all known community fixes. Still nothing. Figured I'd give it one last shot before I ship this back to the seller.

Utterly shocking performance from GoPro.

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi all, im having the same issue as everyone here except with a 7 Black. Spent 2hrs this morning with tech support. In the end she suggested I exchange the camera for a new one. So I did, since costco is incredibly easy to deal with. Brought home, tried everything again. Same existing problem. Unreal. Also, like most people here, its 100% not a problem with my machine...as its 1 week old and PLENTY of power, all the new updates yada yada yada.
Tourist

[ New ]

Quick update... the "Call Back" from the "Supervisor" never came.

I am genuinely in a quandary as to what I should now do? SURELY GoPro is now aware of this issue? SURELY they are now working on a fix?

I completely understand that this issue only appears to be happening in a few cases - but honestly - it shouldn't. My PC is a DELL with an i9 Processor - all the bells and whistles - and is FULLY up to date.

Does anyone else have a solution that I could try? Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Regards... Tony

PS. I bought a USBC to USBC cable thinking that might solve it... but it hasn't :-(

Tourist

[ New ]
One would hope a fix is on the horizon. I mean, I can get all my media using the SD adapter, but it shouldnt be that way. The camera, should work properly for anyone! This def isnt a isolated problem. Many people are experiencing this issue in one way or another.
Hiker

[ New ]

GOPRO WE WANT FIX THIS ISSUE!

what to do more? A lot of people contact gopro support with this issue - no fix at all... what more - even no fair answer was given.
Do you think this is real fair behaviour from brand like gopro? What to do more?

you can see its on all models (6,7,8) its usually on newer intel CPU / chipset, no fix on horizon.

WE EXPECT FIX OF THIS ISSUE GOPRO

you are losing customers here...

Tourist

[ New ]

QUICK UPDATE...

Had a 45min call with a "Supervisor" today and he/we tried all the solutions previously discussed and one or two new ones. None worked.

He said he would need to get back to the tech team and asked for some screenshots of my system etc. and said he would email me and I should reply to this email attaching said screenshots.

At the time of writing (4-5 hours later) I have NOT received his email and so am unable to send over those screenshots.

Great  :-(

Hiker

[ New ]

Did you tell him about this thread? How it's currently the largest trending issue with GoPro's?

They surely can't be this oblivious to the issue.

Tourist

[ New ]

I did indeed, but he alluded to the fact this forum wasn't really supported by GoPro anymore... which I guess is evidenced by the complete lack of comment on this subject by GoPro, DESPITE it being many pages long :-(