Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 8 SlowMo is in low quality

I got my hero 8 and tried the default settings for slowmo. However, upon playing the clips, seems like the videos are in low quality even with enough lighting. Any recommended settings for this?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 8 SlowMo is in low quality

Thanks for your responses! I used 1080p / 240fps for the slowmo assuming this would be good for IG and FB posts. But upon rendering, the clips became grainy.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Hiker

hat settings did you use and where did you take the video? How much light was there - remember that 240 frames a second needs 8 times the amount of light of 30 frames a second.
Highlighted
Hiker

I think default slow mo is 1080 ?

Although not as slow, have you tried 2.7k, 120 fps   or   4k, 60 fps ?   You might find these a better trade off for quality vs slow mo. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for your responses! I used 1080p / 240fps for the slowmo assuming this would be good for IG and FB posts. But upon rendering, the clips became grainy.
Highlighted
Hiker

You need to post your settings and a sample video somewhere for us to evaluate and give informed feedback.

Without that the best guess is that you didn't have enough light.  Because you were running at 240fps each frame gets 1/8th the light that a frame at 30fps would get so you need alot more light than regular video.  If there isn't enough light then the camera is going to crank up the ISO sensitivity which will introduce noise into the image.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Post . the editor and rendering as well.   I find my editor and MP-4 is causing my issues, and that can be part of the problem, make sure you are correctly doing things.  A lot has  to play with  the toll of the footage?

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks, everyone! I think i figured it out. It's the way I'm post processing the clips!