Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 8 Media Mod & 1 Button Record

I've noticed that with the Media Mod attached to the Hero 8 Black, the battery inserted and a USB-C connected that the one button record does not work. I can select the power on button then the one button record and it will record. The one button record button does work on the camera without the media mod attached. If I disconect the USB-C cord and have a battery in the camera it will work on the media mod. But if I try and reconnect the USB-C cord it will not. Any reason why it will work after I power on but not by itself?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 8 Media Mod & 1 Button Record

Hello @robertb65215. The QuikCapture function should work in all the conditions that you have described. We did a test to see how it goes and got the following results: 

• Camera only with battery - Working
  • Camera only without the battery plugged in - Working
  • Camera with battery in Media Mod - Working
  • Camera without the battery in Media Mod connected - Working

We set the HERO8 Black camera to 4K, 60, Linear. The USB-C charging cable was connected directly to a power outlet. Did you have specific settings or conditions when you did the test on your end? 

Highlighted
Nomad

Is your camera with media mod plugged into a power supply or plugged into a laptop/pc?  Could be your PC is reading it as a media device and therefore not allowing you to one touch record.

Highlighted
Tourist

Currently I use the camera in my vehicle. I have it plugged into the 12v power source. When I use the camera without the media mod I can have the camera work without a battery just the USB-C connecion. The camera will start recording when the one button record button is depressed while I have the battery and USB-C connected to the media mod. For it to work I need to disconnect the USB-C and then depress the one button record for the recording to start. If the battery is removed and the USB-C is connected nothing happens as well.I can depress the mode switch and start the camera though and then depress the one button record and it will work. I would like to be able to run the camera & media mod without a battery, just the USB-C for power and be able to depress the one button record and it works. I need to be able to record for longer than the battery provides which is what I get when it is plugged in.

Highlighted
Nomad

So first thing to check would be your power supply, make sure it's a 5v 2A power supply.  Also make sure it's not an intelligent IQ power adapater as that may not supply the correct initial power to your device.  I just used my GoPro Hero 8 with Media mod (no battery) on an extended car trip around Ireland and didn't run into any issues.

Highlighted
Tourist

Ok, I checked what my power was and it's using 5.1v and between 0.4 - 0.8a. I don't see this to be an issue because as I initially stated I can start the camera without a battery using the mode switch and the USB-C cable then start recording using the one button switch. I can then turn off the recording with the one button record switch followed by the turning off the camera with the mode switch. This is all using the USB-C cable for power. I also have the same issue with the battery installed. If the battery is installed I have to disconnect the USB-C cable then select the one button record and it will start recording. At that point I can connect the USB-C cable again and it will work. It appears to be an issue with the camera or media mod.
Highlighted
GoPro

@robertb65215, thanks for posting back with the details. Please let our Support team know so they can help you with the next steps. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.