Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Hero 8 Facebook live video defaults to fisheye

[ New ]

Hi

i have a hero 8, whenever I live stream the video defaults to fisheye. I have adjusted the settings so that it is on what I want. Created custome settings but whatever video setting I use it defaults to fisheye when streaming live. This, for me, makes the device not fit for purpose....unless, which is highly possible (!!) i have missed a setting somewhere that overrides this.

thanks

GoPro

Re: Hero 8 Facebook live video defaults to fisheye

[ New ]

Hi @simonb26164,

Live stream will always be on Wide FOV but if you selected live and save to SD card then the saved fill will have the FOV you selected.

Hiker

[ New ]
@GoPro Have you seen how many responses youve been receiving about live-streaming issues in your cameras? We need flexible setting: to choose lens angle, to enable stabilization for livestream (now hypersmooth is disabled for GoPro 8 in livestream mode), we need audio, video bitrate settings, I want to move my camera upsidown when I do livestream, but I can’t do that. Fix your firmware. Time has come!!!
Tourist

[ New ]

I also would like to use different lens settings for live streaming, such as near or linear.

Thanks!

Sightseer

[ New ]

HI, that is the whole point of the question. The lens settings dont work if you are streaming. You only get the fish eye for live streaming.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes, I realised the fisheye lens setting feature (?) for live streaming yesterday and last time I check I was not a fish...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

We have tested further and can confirm that only WIDE FOV is saved when on live stream.

That being said we have sent this feedback to the team in charge.

Please continue checking our website for updates.

Thanks!

Ej

Adventurer

[ New ]

As my other camera defaults to Warp, gopro is not the only other company that  defaults fisheye (wink)     they default  for reasons, do we have that reason why?  No.

Tourist

[ New ]

Would like to add my own disappointment over this issue. Smiley Sad

Purchased Hero 8 for a lot of money, changed my settings to Linear, framed up what I'm recording - looks great - press the button to go live, and BAM! it just resets the angle to Wide. 

Totally ruins the stream with ridiculous giant distorted wide angle effect. You're left thinking that you messed something up or missed something. This has to be a bug. These are basic features that make a product fit for the purposes that it's marketed for.

Thank you aragon1006 for reaching out to the developers. This is problem requiring a quick fix! And it's probably an easy fix. 

Please ping the team again for an ETA on a fix, as this is quite frustrating. They can do better than this, I know it.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Another person to add to this - love the camera, works great... but fisheye in livestream mode is deal-breaker.  I'm looking into alternatives now to replace this. I hope this thread gets some feedback about GoPro's plans to resolve this issue. :(

Adventurer

[ New ]

As gopro can impliment it to the Firmwarequestion is will they on the hero 8 or will it go into the Hero 9

Tourist

[ New ]

Maybe they fix it for the Hero 11...

Adventurer

[ New ]

Person who is in charge of it should be  told again to add it in and tehy will do it, some one is stopping them from giving what we want, and why?

Tourist

[ New ]

Anyone know if this also happens when streaming to Youtube? 

And is this flaw present in earlier models, or just the Hero 8?

Come on Devs, get this fixed! Robot surprised

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes, with Youtube and with RTMP the same **bleep** is going! Not possible to use in close space,  I will have to ask for refund beacuse of that issue...

Adventurer

[ New ]

ti make you feel better the DJI Osmo Action as well. Lol.

Tourist

[ New ]

So...still no new firmware, no fix for this, no statement as to if it will ever be corrected?

Tourist

[ New ]

Bit of news, as of yesterday:

An upcoming firmware update will make it easy to use a
GoPro as a webcam and we’re advancing the already impressive live-streaming
capabilities of our cameras to further serve the productivity and communications needs of our customers.

Let's hope that means more options in quality and lense angle while livestreaming.

Source: https://s21.q4cdn.com/291350743/files/doc_financials/2020/q1/GoPro-Q1-2020-Management-Commentary.pdf

Tourist

[ New ]

So another month has come and gone. No new firmware to correct this? Newest firmware still dated January.

Tourist

[ New ]

IRL streaming is going to get big on Twitch and YouTube, Hero8 seems to have great hardware but there are so many software issues which seem to be "quick wins" to solve:

- Mobile App: Just add an option to save and restore RTMP settings. Some users connect to a static endpoint and don't want to enter all settings ALL THE TIME.

- Make lense, exposure, stabilization etc customizeable for RTMP

- Fix reconnect RTMP issue

Bonus to really satisfy users and to dominate the market:

- implement the things mentioned above

PLUS:

- Streaming without a mobile app

- Adding a public API to connect to the Hero 8 and configure streaming

- Add SRT. This will be big as RTMP is gonna die soon. SRT is much more reliable and Twitch, YouTube are going to support it in a couple of months anway. RTMP is Adobe-Flash-Technology and can't handle unreliable connections.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

More months go by. The "latest" firmware release (still marked as "NEW!") is 7 months old.

Where are the enhancements promised to shareholders in the earnings report?  Fix this absurd hardcoding of fisheye on FB Live streaming.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same issue experience for the first time this weekend... have a fence mount for Hero 8 black to capture baseball/softball games.  Did the live streaming this weekend and saw the fence was in my shot... checked the setting before the next game to make sure i had the proper view i had setup selected... kicked on live stream and fence in view again... WTF??  Googled and read and searched and looked... came across this forum post finally... well that just sucks!!!  This needs to be fixed and the fact that this post started in March and there is still no firmware to address it doesn't give me a whole lot of hope... and makes me wonder if i made the wrong selection for camera... Hope I'm wrong.

Tourist

[ New ]

Anyone know if the new firmware from August 27th fixes this?

I see they finally added Webcam capibility, and then they later added where you can change the Webcam behavior from wide/narrow//linear.  (before that It had defaulted to wide-only, of course). 

I also wonder if the new Hero9 has this same fisheye-only defect when livestraming.

Hiker

[ New ]

Latest firmware testing shows no differences on the 8

Hiker

[ New ]

Just received the new GoPro 9 black and took the next steps:

- Camera: Turned max mode on

- Camera: Turned horizon leveling on

- GoPro app: Connected to the camera and went to Live mode

I got the following message "Live broadcasting is not available during MAX lens mode" (see attachment). I guess this means no horizon leveling during live streams.

For now I will be returning the camera, but keep faith that this option will be activated in the near future.

Another reason to return the GoPro 9 is that I have the GoPro MAX which does most of the things the new GoPro 9 can do.

Looking forward to a new firmware update! :) :) :)

Regards,

Alberto.

IMG_5360(1).PNG
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

You can use Horizon Leveling on the HERO9 Black without being in MAX mode. In standard mode, click on the icon at the bottom left of your screen and select Linear + Horizon Leveling.

Hiker

[ New ]

This is realy cool response. Yes we need this horizon levelling feature for livestreams. Actually we also need max lens mode livestream support. @GoPro please tell the software engineers to provide livestream support for max lens mode and horizon levelling too.  

Hiker

[ New ]
Horizon levelling doesn't work for livestream. @jefft what you say doesn't affect livestream mode. This guy albertoh1201 told you above that he tested the opportunity to livestream being in max lens mode on. And GoPro doesn't support it.