Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 Door doesn't Open?

I don't whink the issue is with people not knowing how to open it. But the issue is (at least with some cameras), that the mechanism is so **bleep** hard to open, till you do it multiple times to losen it a bit...
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeUrzuiu_a4 - I'm pressing with full force on it and it wont budge till very late. Just a note - this is nothing compared to new one, this is like 20th time I opened it... When it was new, I really needed to push it open with both hands...
Highlighted
Adventurer

I hear ya:    single haded  you did just fine.. so do we play with it 100 times to loosen up, nah just use two hands  thumb on the whole door and the other to ulock. (wink)  a lot easier over time for sure.

Highlighted
Nomad

So I just watched the video and immediately saw what you were going wrong.  Since you're crabbing the selfie stick with one finger and the latch with the other, you're actually drawing them both towards eachother.  In short this results in you actually applying downward pressure on the button as you're trying to open it.  If you do that, the latch becomes impossible to open.  All your force needs to be across in the direction the lock pops open.  If you apply downward pressure on the lock, it refuses to open.

I'm making another video about this now, but thanks for the helpful video link.

Highlighted
Nomad

Ok so a new clip that shows the right way to open the GoPro Hero 8 battery door and the wrong way to open the GoPro Hero 8 battery door.

Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

@pitris  Also this video can help you to understand how the door works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZkzfsl9dG8

Learn how the GoPro HERO8 Black door works. In this video, I show you how to hold the camera to properly handle its door. Use your hands smartly.
Highlighted
Hiker

I'm not stupid guys :) this video was for gopro support, as they requested it, so I've been holding phone with one hand, camera with the other. Relly, I tried tens different ways to open it - pressing on the door, not pressing on the door, different angle... nothing worked, the door were almost stuck requiring immense pressure to open. Now i can easily open it using one hand only same way as in the video... Only thing it needed was wearing it down a bit.

If you have not experienced it, I suppose not all cameras are made the same. All videos I've seen from people who do not have the issue are so easily opened. But trust me, not mine. First time openning it I was really scared I'll break it, as the latch simply wouldn't pop...