Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 8 Black unable to detect RMMW2 Remote

[ New ]

Hi All,

I have tried for the last two weeks to indentify why my brand new Hero 8 Black will not connect to my gopro remote.

I have reset both devices as per multiple video's and GP instructions and im getting somewhat frustrated.

Can anyone confirm that the RMMW2 WILL actually pair to the 8 Black as I have seen several posts saying it wont?

I have the latest software and firmware on both devices.

My process:-

Camera on

Prefs

Connections

remote....starts pairing..

power/mode button on

press record and mode button together...starts pairing

Both just sit there circles spinning and arrows going up and down.

As mentioned, I have factory reset the camera back to defaults, changed the wifi to 2.4ghz, then power/mode button held for 8-10 seconds till it powers off, restarted pairing on both....nada....nothing...bugger all.

Unfortunately the remote isnt brand new but had little use, the camera is new.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated before I launch the pair of them at the wall....

Martyn

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: Hero 8 Black unable to detect RMMW2 Remote

[ New ]

I also have the smart remote, I bought it for my GoPro Hero 2...  so it's not brand new either

I have paired my smart remove with the GoPro Hero 2, GoPro Hero 4, GoPro Hero 6, Go Pro Fusion and the GoPro Hero 8.

All the GoPro's seem to work with the smart remote.  I've only read one issue and that was somebody who said their GoPro Hero 8 didn't pair once the media mod was attached to the GoPro Hero 8.  I attached my media mod to the GoPro Hero 8 and it worked without issue.

So while I can't solve your pairing issue, I can confirm that my smart remote does work with the GoPro Hero 8 and GoPro Hero 8 with media mod attached.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

@martynh51, just to clarify, are you using a Wi-Fi Remote (older version)? Or Smart Remote?

Tourist

[ New ]

@aenriquez  thx for responding, its the Smart remote, the one with the spanner/wremch.

GoPro

[ New ]

@martynh51, typically, this connection issue can be resolved by resetting the connections on all devices. I do have some suggestions that may help.  

1. Turn off the Smart Remote and your camera. 
  2. Reset the Smart Remote by pressing and holding the Power/Mode button on the remote for about 8 to 10 seconds. Leave the remote powered OFF for the meantime. 
  3. Reset the Wi-Fi connections on your camera using the steps here
  4. Pair the devices: How to Pair Your Camera with Your Smart Remote

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @aenriquez 

thanks for the suggestions, although I have done all of those step before I tried again without success.;-(

GoPro

[ New ]

We appreciate you going through the suggested steps, @martynh51. Since the issue remains, let our Support team help you further. To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Nomad

[ New ]

I also have the smart remote, I bought it for my GoPro Hero 2...  so it's not brand new either

I have paired my smart remove with the GoPro Hero 2, GoPro Hero 4, GoPro Hero 6, Go Pro Fusion and the GoPro Hero 8.

All the GoPro's seem to work with the smart remote.  I've only read one issue and that was somebody who said their GoPro Hero 8 didn't pair once the media mod was attached to the GoPro Hero 8.  I attached my media mod to the GoPro Hero 8 and it worked without issue.

So while I can't solve your pairing issue, I can confirm that my smart remote does work with the GoPro Hero 8 and GoPro Hero 8 with media mod attached.

Tourist

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx Thank you very much for confirming that, I feel the remote is faulty, I am going to take it in to a dealer.

Martyn