Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 8 Black thermal shutdown

Started using new Hero 8 Black GoPro. After 30 minutes of being on, whether video, camera or slow-mo, get thermal icon in window and it shuts down automatically. Immediate startup and goes another 30 minutes. H E L P.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero 8 Black thermal shutdown

So there's a couple of issues here and it's always good to have all the information rather than just tidbits of information.

So charging your battery while using the battery will of course generate immense amounts of heat.  Using the battery generates heat.  Charging the battery generates heat.  When you try doing both at the same time, guess what?  HEAT!

Another thing is your shooting conditions.  If I'm doing a timelapse for instance, to avoid overheating, I'm going to do a few things like disable Wifi, disable hypersmooth and disable any other feature I'm not using.  The less load you put on the camera, the less heat will be generated.  

If the camera is going to be in a fixed position for instance (on a tripod for Vlogging) then again, disable the features you're not using, you don't need hypersmooth on if it's in a fixed position.  It also doesn't need to be recording 4K @ 60FPS with a high bitrate.  

Lack of proper airflow around the camera is also going to cause overheating.  I easily record in the highest settings possible when my camera is attached to the wing of my wife's airplane due to the immense amount of airflow around the camera.  Same with motorsports or sky diving.  Not a problem. However if I'm going to film outdoors on a tripod in the sunshine, there's no way I'd use the same settings if filming for more than 10 minutes as this doesn'st have the same airflow or natural cooling available.  

So if you want to avoid overheating when shooting, I'd advise you to look at the settings you're using and if they are best set to the task you want to accomplish.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

What SD card are you using and did you format it in the camera before use?

Highlighted
Tourist

Using brand new Samsung EVO Select 128GB freshly formatted to the GoPro Hero 8 Black. This style I've used in all my GoPro's 5 through 7 with no issues.
Highlighted
Nomad

And it's the Green and white Evo card, not the red and white Evo +?

The green and white Evo card should work with no issue.  I would suggest you try a different card in the camera to see if the issue persists.  If it does, it could be a camera issue.  if it doesn't, it's a card issue.

Highlighted
Tourist

Yes, the green and white. I don'y recall seeing specifics on the memory cards to use as long as the specs match. Did I miss something in the booklet perhaps?
Highlighted
Nomad

GoPro have a whole webpage dedicated to cards to use with GoPro camera's

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations 

Anyway, I use the same card you have with my GP Hero 8 camera's and don't have an issue with them, however need to see if the issue that you're having is a camera issue or related to a bad SD card (and it's easy to get a bad SD card from time to time).  So try out a different card in the camera to see if that also results in an over heating issue.

Highlighted
Tourist

I believe I may have found the issue. Reformatted the card in the 8 Black. Tried a known good different card of 128 GB and even tried a clean 64GB and 32 GB. All the same 30 minute window. During all this testing, due to extensive time involved, I had a power cord charging while filming. Removed the power cord and issue resolved, but maximum use is at 45 minutes. Both on the new Hero 8, and my previous Hero 7. The 7 was not effected being plugged in to power while filming. How can one film over 45 minutes if the camera powers down? Or am I expecting too much, having grown used to this with my Hero 5, 6 and 7?
Highlighted
Adventurer

cards all can toss different issues.

I am  with  many types of Bugs and until the newerfirmware 1.30 comes out I have to deal with it , think I am on my last few  days of a return .