Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 8 Black stabilization feature request: Use accelerometer to predict direction of stabilization.

[ New ]

I have a Hero 8 Black which I have had almost a month. I can see a bit how stabilization works. The camera has a bigger canvas than the dimentions of what is being recorded, and tries to keep the dimensions of what is being recorded centered. It's good for sure, but it can be better. 

OK, the problem is when I am moving around, turning a corner on my bike, for example. The stabilization tries to keep the frame centered on what I *was* looking at and after a delay of 1-2 seconds adjusts the frame of what is being recorded. It gives an impression that I am manually adjusting my camera to view the new scenery 1-2 seconds after I start moving in that direction.

Feature request: Use an accelerometer/gyroscope: With input from an accelerometer (MEMS gyro + accelerometer) you could better predict what the user of the camera *wants* to be looking at in real time and move the stabilization frame into the direction the user is moving.

Contact me for more details, explanation, and sample videos.

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 8 Black stabilization feature request: Use accelerometer to predict direction of stabilizat

[ New ]

Here is a video where the problem can be seen. I don't move the camera. It is fixed to my handlebar. There is a clear lag in what the camera is recording after I turn a corner. This could be solved by using an accelerometer as input to predict where the stabilization should frame itself next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiVt7I9zi50

You can already observe this behaviour at 10-13 seconds into the video as I round the first corner.

Here I am starting my downward descent on a bicycle into Tiefental, coming from the direction of Heroldstatt. Heroldstatt is up on top of the Swabian Jura, w...
GoPro

Re: Hero 8 Black stabilization feature request: Use accelerometer to predict direction of stabilizat

[ New ]

Hi @williams5012

Thanks for sharing a sample file.

If you haven't yet, try resetting the camera.

Should it still be the same, we recommend doing a manual update.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Nomad

[ New ]

There is already a thread from me - you could have attached yourself better than opening a new one! So all the individual problems that the support with 0815 wischiwaschi (manual update, reset, suitable SD card, make Video...) dismisses, although it is clearly a firmware problem - but what should not be, can not be ....

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @oliverz513

I had no idea you had already opened a thread. I tried to look around but could not find anything. My terminology to describe this problem was probably quite different.

Could you post a link to your thread, so I can go and have a look at it? Clicking on your username just brings my back here.

I did the manual update. I have not gotten a chance yet to test it.

Nomad

[ New ]
Hi @williams5012
There have been separate threats on image stabilization in curves in the last few days:
https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Malfunctioning-image-stabilization-Hero-8-Black/m-p/627765#
And from me
https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Image-stabilization-Hero-8-Black/m-p/624761

That should be enough for GoPro Support to take it seriously ....
Tourist

[ New ]

I did the manual firmware update and took some test videos today. There seems to be some improvement. The stabilization seems to be actively moving in the direction of my movement.

I will upload some new videos soon to YouTube as soon as I have some.

Nomad

[ New ]

The are already using the accelerometer for that. Not sure if they're doing it right, though