Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 8 Black recording shows still image

Hello Communicty,

I have  a brand new GoPro 8 Black (some days old) and have the issue of showing a still image after 1 min aprox. recording.

I have tried all Workaround. Changed SD Cards, updated manualy, changed FPS and analysis.

Still the same. It is very frustrating that GoPro cant sovle this issue.

I got the feeling if you film with more than 60 fps ansd use Quickcapture its 95% you will face this issue.

I had changed already two GoPro 7 actions cams and bought the 8Black hoping this will not occure again.

Anyone any idea or any solution to share?

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 8 Black recording shows still image

It just sounds like you may have gotten a camera with an issue. I use my HERO8 3-4 times a week, often recording in 2.7K/120fps, and I always use Quick Capture. I've had zero issues. I don't know where you got your 95% stat from, but if it does in fact happen 19 times out of 20 tries, there is obviously an issue. Updating, changing to a different recommended SD card, and resetting the camera are about the only solutions we can offer here. After that, the best advice is for you to just contact GoPro Support.
Highlighted
Adventurer

your camera freezes with a photo  in about a minutes time-----points to------sdxc card----buffering---stalls----causes  aa photo.  How I see it.   More then one camera, hmmm.  rule the card out.

Highlighted
Explorer

He mentioned changing SD cards. The "more than one camera" was in reference to HERO7 being changed (reason not specified). Although, I agree that if the HERO7 cameras were having issues with the same SD cards, then it's time to stop looking at the cameras as the issue.
Highlighted
Adventurer

Never mentioned the actual card  @danielr15  so lets see if more info comes about.

in the mean time full format the card report back if fixed.

Highlighted
Explorer

Best to use this tool for a full format (overwrite) of the card https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
Highlighted
Explorer

"It is strongly recommended to use the SD Memory Card Formatter to format SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards rather than using formatting tools provided with individual operating systems. In general, formatting tools provided with operating systems can format various storage media including SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards, but it may not be optimized for SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards and it may result in lower performance."
Highlighted
Tourist

So let me describe your my martyrium with GoPro:

GoPro 6 Black with an SanDisk Extreme (UHS-1 U3 / V30) A1 64GB and A2 64GB

Recording time was different, either after one minute or some minutes recording showed only a Still image.

Chaning the SD card. Same issue from time to time

Manual Firmware with reset etc. same issue

Exchanged with GoPro 7 Black under Warranty

Same recording issue.

Send card back to Sandisk due to lifetime Guarantee.

Checked again the same issue.

Used another GoPro 7, same issue

Now brand new out of the Box GoPro 8 with a brandnew SanDisk Extreme PRO (UHS-1 U3 / V30) A2 128GB

Same issue!!!

For me this is either a Firmware issue GoPro is unable to solve or a problem with the processor.