Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 8 Black Wind noise

Hi,

I have just purchased a new Hero 8 black and the wind noise to terrible!!! How can an "action camera" have such bad wind noise??

Do I really have to go and buy a foam thing to put on my £360 Hero 8 black to surpress the wind noise????

I have set the Wind reduction to On and the what should the RAW audio be set to.

The camera is mainly used while riding my motorbike with it mounted to the chin of the helmet.

Please help!! 

Regards

Amer

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 8 Black Wind noise

Hello @motorbikemonkey

What SD card are you using? Do you have the camera up to date?

Would you be able to share a sample file?

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Nomad

It's an action camera, not a "magic" camera.

Wind noise reduction works when there is audio to be heard and there is a wind blowing.  It cuts down on peak overdrive and does it's best to remove wind noise.

Strapping a camera to your chin (where it's constantly exposed to wind noise) and speeding around on a motorbike is natually going to create a whole lot more wind noise then in a normal shooting scenario.

This is why people use things like a dead cat wind cover in above normal wind scenarios or a foam enclosure.  Professionals use seperate audio recording equipment to combine their footage and audio into a better file (using the proper tool for the job).

If anything this highlights the need for GoPro to introduce blutooth microphone support.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi

I am on update 1.6 and using a Sandisk extreme a2 card

Regards
Amer
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi,

For this kind of money you should be able to get decent audio without wind noise and without having to spend even more money!

I ride to and from work in London so speeding is not an option.

I will try a foam thing because I am not looking for professional results I just thought it would be better.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Ive had my gopro 8 black foe about a month or so. I was going to send it back and have a repacement, but i didnt think the problem would be solved. My gopro got very hot, the battery life was rubbish and the wind noise was awful. Not good for and expensive piece of kit. I decided to persivier and bought some velcro. I used a small squares of the soft side of the velcro and stuck it to cover the mic on front of the gopro. I went out today and to my joy there was no wind noise. Give it a go. 

Highlighted
Adventurer

https://youtu.be/a8DT-kOHMkE

worst sound ever DO NOT WATCH, and you miss the most Awesome   sounds of gopro.

mic muff I had on her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1imhjT4fH00

Shot in 4K High Bitrate ISO Min 100 max 400 sharpness Med EV -0.5 Powerdirector 18 ultimate MP4 4K Natural sounds of the Beach with the Audio Hack Mic muff B...