Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 8 Black Slow mo videos at 1080 120 wide, play back at regular speed on my iPhone 6s Plus??

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 Black Slow mo videos at 1080 120 wide, play back at regular speed on my iPhone 6s Plus??

slow motion is a feature of play back in which a higher frame rate is played back slower in a player or editor (e.g. playing 120fps at 30fps) so there is the frames to play it either slow or normal.

Timelapse video (including timewarp) are a slow frame rate video recording at 2fps or less and are really just a bunch of photos strung together to make a video setting the playback speed tp25/30 fps. they don't have the frames to play at normal speed.

Each video file has a number of variables stored in it, including things like pixel aspect ratio or play frame rate. it's possible for a device to record at 120fps or more but write the play frame rate at 25fps so that it 0lays back slow motion, but most dont do this.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero 8 Black Slow mo videos at 1080 120 wide, play back at regular speed on my iPhone 6s Plus??

Yes this is right.

When you make a slow motion recording you are simply increasing the amount of frames being used to record video.  So in this case instead of using 30FPS you're now using 120FPS.

When you play back the video the video is now playing back at a much higher frame rate giving you a more sharp action oriented look. 

To give it a slow motion look you need to edit the video and slow down the video.  So slowing down the video by 1/2 will give you 60FPS.  Slowing down by 1/4 will give you 30FPS.

That's how you get slow motion video.

Highlighted
Adventurer

gopro allows it to be  the norm whil others lock it to slo mo.  nothing wrong when you now have an option to play norm with sound then be stuck in slo mo and no sound

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you for the info. I guess I was confused because videos recorded as Time Warp videos on my Hero 8 Black, play as Time Warp on my iPhone. Therefore I thought that when I played videos that were recorded as slow-mo on my Hero 8 Black, that they would play in slo-motion automatically on my iPhone.
Highlighted
Hiker

slow motion is a feature of play back in which a higher frame rate is played back slower in a player or editor (e.g. playing 120fps at 30fps) so there is the frames to play it either slow or normal.

Timelapse video (including timewarp) are a slow frame rate video recording at 2fps or less and are really just a bunch of photos strung together to make a video setting the playback speed tp25/30 fps. they don't have the frames to play at normal speed.

Each video file has a number of variables stored in it, including things like pixel aspect ratio or play frame rate. it's possible for a device to record at 120fps or more but write the play frame rate at 25fps so that it 0lays back slow motion, but most dont do this.