Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 8 Battery Drain when in Standby mode

So after two RMA's on Hero 7, seems like the Hero 8 either has the same issue or this is how a flawed design works. I have never experienced the huge battery drain when the camera is completely turned off. When I do get huge drain is when the camera is on and in standby mode waiting for a user input. For example, camera at 100% battery, take a short ten second video and stop recording...camera still at 100%. Great.... Camera stays on (I call this standby mode) and after one minute screen goes dark.....still good....At this point the battery now drains at about 30-40% per hour. I have wireless and voice turned off (why offer these features if you can't use them?) and while I could live with some minor drain, essentially the battery will be dead in a couple hours. That does not work out so well on a 6 hour gravel ride. Is this really how the camera is supposed to work? Been thru all the SD Card, reformat, manual update...blah...blah and spent way too much time with Support so my guess is that GoPro can't figure out what is going on here. Thanks for any help.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Hero 8 Battery Drain when in Standby mode

[ Edited ]

DJI has a standby where the actual camera   hybernates. Aiptek  dv 5300 (huh what's that) has 2AAA batteries, the worst powersurce if asked, has a Hybernation  as well.  Since GoPro does not offer a True standby, they do offer a  Quick capture.: that said

What are your settings:  the brightness set at. that will draw power.  What is the Screen saver set to as well.  Is VC on/off, GPS on/Off

I guess using a Powerbank of some sort   is out of the question? .  or extend the wiring to where it does not interfere with your activity on the go?  just a suggestion.  I agree if I am to  have the camera on all day I want it to last at least an hour. knowing it won't last 2 hours, Just On. that is how a camera works today or is it?

Highlighted
Tourist

I have everything off and screen bright at 10%. What is even worse on the Hero 8 is that it would be very unwise to use a brick since the whole internals of the camera will be exposed to dust/dirt...water etc. I had considered the brick route on the seven and making sure water would not be an issue, but now with the one door only it would be a real problem.  Maybe DJI time?

Highlighted
Adventurer

That is where the Opton of a media Module comes to play or 3rd parties like Ulanzi   

they think of these things that GoPro can not get right or support them.

An Option what do you have to say on that?  Amazon has it for 5.00 more

61d1WuicUeL._AC_AA180_.jpg

Highlighted
Tourist

That looks interesting..do you have a link on that product at Amazon?