Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 7 weird blue colour underwater

Hi, I upgraded from Hero 5 to Hero 7 a few months ago. Love it, but I'm struggling with one thing. I film entirely underwater, my settings are 4k/60, Wide, Low light OFF, Stabilisation AUTO, Protune ON, Shutter AUTO, EV Comp -1.0, White Balance 4500 (I'm using video lights with 4800k), ISO Min 100, ISO Max 800, Sharpness LOW, Colour Flat (I colour grade in Resolve).
I'm getting the issue on a lot of my video where there is an area of the image that is background over a couple of metres away. All (almost 100%) of the issue is with sand, or rock that takes on a weird neon/UV blue clipped/noisy look. This is a screen grab from my computer playing the video straight from the card. Do you see the weird blue behind the Seadragon? Anyone had this? I'd appreciate any proven suggestions.... I can't use this video :(  Thanks!

Thumbnail
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero 7 weird blue colour underwater

Are you using a red filter on your camera while shooting underwater?

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 weird blue colour underwater

@irishmanpdx wrote:

Are you using a red filter on your camera while shooting underwater?

I do sometimes, but not in this particular instance because the actual subject (the Weedy Seadragon) is well lit by my lights, and already quite a red-rich colour. A red filter would be too much red, and require double the post work to bring that back down.

I do have other clips, of a shark for instance, that I wasn't that close to. I compared the red filter on to off during one continuous shot. The filter was an improvement, but didn't totally fix the issue in that case.