Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 7 shut off upon racing impact

Brand new Hero 7 installed in race car.

Went to shut off camera minutes after an on-track impact and noticed the camera was already off.

Thought I had forgot to start recording prior to race but found footage on camera up until about 2 seconds before the impact.

I have had a similar experience when the card is ejected in a really heavy impact with an older camera but this accident had less of an impact.

Is there something in the camera firmware that will cause it to shutdown if high g's are sensed? or did the SD card or battery momentarily lose connection?

I replaced a Hero 2 that has been in several impacts heavier than this one...

GoPro

Re: Hero 7 shut off upon racing impact

Hi @sweetcave240

What SD card are you using? What was the recording mode/ resolution used?

After you noticed that the camera was off, did you try to power it ON immediately?

Do you still remember its battery percentage?

Did you also notice if the camera was too hot to touch?

To further check on your camera's performance, please go over the steps on Short Record Times

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

SanDisk 128GB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - C10, U3, V30, 4K, A2, Micro SD - SDSQXA1-128G-GN6MA

I was recording at 1440/30fps so lower demand

I believe the camera did turn back on right away and I think it had around 50% battery. I don't recall it being warm. it was a cool evening with ambient being below 60F

I may have answered my own question. As I was removing the SD just now it wasn't installed all the way. I reinstalled properly and will monitor for the issue again. Would the camera shut off after a few minutes without an SD card signal?

GoPro

@sweetcave240, the camera will automatically shut off depending on the "Auto Power Off" setting under Preferences > General. Please let us know if anything else comes up.