Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 7 - shoot in Pal or Ntsc to avoid.flicker

If you are in a PAL region, then just convert the above to the PAL equivalent (in which case, a 25fps sequence is fine).
Highlighted
Hiker

thanks for the detailed tips!

mayi ask why i should turn off stabilization off in low light?

in the event that i am shooting 4k (16:9) 60fps, to maximise the hypersmooth and possibly have some slo-mo, what setting should i be using in lower lighting for easy editing and matching during post processing in adobe premier pro?

Highlighted
Explorer

EIS stabilization works by moving the frame to attempt to keep movement on screen to a minimum. When in low light, it is more difficult for the camera to do this accurately and you can get blurring of subjects and bouncing of lights.

It's difficult to give "Best" low light settings. Without stabilization, you want a low fps (24-30) to allow the sensor more time to gather light. However, with stabilization, you want a lot of frames and for each to be exposed with the least amount of motion blur.

4K (4:3)/24fps uses a less aggressive stabilization so tends to work better in low light. For low, but not dark, lighting, I've been playing around with 2.7K/60fps shutter 1/240 ISO MIN 800 ISO MAX 800 and find it looks pretty good.

When I edit in Premiere, I almost exclusively use a 1080p/29.97fps sequence. This allows me to mix footage and also have the ability to reframe my shots in higher resolutions. Once done, I export as 4K to regain maximum bit rate. If I'm going to post on YouTube, I render with the 4K YouTube preset and check on render at maximum depth and maximum quality.
Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks Daniel. You have been very detailed so far.

My outdoor videoa will probably be taken in 4k 60fps with Hypersmooth. Do you think I should take my indoor footages in 4k60fps with Hypersmooth or totally no stabilisation with higher iso , for best image quality and for ease of editing? Or will you suggestion of 2.7k 60fps (w8th stabilization?) yield better results?
Highlighted
Backpacker

hi all,

@danielr15 thank you for the Jackson's Hobbit's parallel... Smiley Wink

just went through this fps film making story.

interesting!!!

in 2012, when The Hobbit was made, Peter Jackson explained that all his crew, initially "24fps" addicted, were "converted" easy to 48fps after watching the first tests.

now James Cameron anounced Avatar sequel will be made 3D at 120fps.

as we are filming a "sequel" every day.... Smiley LOL ... we can be creative!

just me,

robert

just me,

robert