Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Hero 7 - shoot in Pal or Ntsc to avoid.flicker

Hi i am from Singapore. Planning to film in Hokkaido using the hero 7, mixture of ski sports and indoor filming.

Should I be filming in Pal or Ntsc, to avoid flicker under artificial lighting ?
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 7 - shoot in Pal or Ntsc to avoid.flicker

NTSC is in the USA, Canada, Japan, S. Korea, Mexico etc..

So, NTSC for Japan and I would assume surrounding islands.
Highlighted
Adventurer

you may shoot in Pal for your region and switch to NTSC that may help out on the flickering, I shot  last night and my dask lights  do not flicker they  go in and out and I am in NTSC I should try afjusting  the shutter, nd filter and change  htx ffrom 60 to 50 that will be Pal.  

Other cameras have a flicker setting  so you do not mess wit hthe    preference, but gopro does not offer that.   try out on a led , neon sign, flourencent light, or old  glass tube tv.  etc..

good luck

Highlighted
Backpacker

[ Edited ]

hi,

Japan is 50Hz, as Singapore, so use PAL.

folow the Japan link also from the below:

Special Notes for Japan

The frequency in Japan depends on your location. Eastern Japan (Tokyo, Kawasaki, Sapporo, Yokohama, Sendai) uses 50 Hz. Western Japan (Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Hiroshima) tends to use 60 Hz.

here is a list of countries:

http://treehouse.ofb.net/go/en/voltage

make a test!!!!!

to avoid flickering you have to match the PAL | NTSC with utility | line | mains frequency.

60Hz NTSC (30,60,120,240fps)

50Hz PAL (25,50,100,200fps)

you can use any multiple or submultiple of the frequency in fps.

the idea is the frames you capture to be in the same moment of the mains sinusoid wave.

two observations:

1. I tried also 24fps when mains is 50Hz, does not flicker (being close to 25  = 50/2)

but 24fps at 60Hz I think will do.

2. even set up correctly, please be aware also at LED light systems that have an intensity feature.

in the kitchen, I have an Ikea with half power possibility LED under furniture.

here is what I get in my kitchen, 4K@50fps

https://youtu.be/a9ntPzIre84

hope this helps,

robert

Highlighted
GoPro

Thanks for sharing @robert1326

Highlighted
Explorer

I could be wrong, but I thought it actually has more to do with shutter speed than frame rate. Granted, they are related, but my understanding is that as long as the shutter is below the frequency, it doesn't matter. So 24fps is fine in a PAL region as long as the shutter is 1/24 or 1/48 but not if it goes to 1/96. Like I said, I could be wrong, but I remember reading something like that.

@robert1326 Since the effect of flicker is usually generated from filming indoors, I suspect the shutter was in the 1/48 - 1/24 range when you did your test. It will be interesting to know if this information is correct, so if you get a chance to test it, that would be great. Also test 30fps with a 1/30 shutter if you can.

@robert1326 Also, your link doesn't seem to be working, at least for me it didn't.
Highlighted
Adventurer

Sorry for my typeo  not sure why  I type and looks good and after I hit,, more coffee and better glasses.       

Highlighted
Explorer

Have to say @fishycomics , your post have become much more readable as of late. A few typos here and there are inevitable, so don't sweat it.