Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 7 safety privacy concerns

Hello to the community!
Recently I bought my first GoPro, a hero 7 black.
When I started the whole setup process I discovered that no password was required in order for the camera to pair to my phone. I was home with a friend and asked him to download the app on his phone as well and try to connect to my GoPro and see if he could. When the camera was in pairing mode he could just as easily connect and gain access to controlling my camera and to my videos that were saved in the sd card in the camera. Am I missing something here? How easy is it for someone to connect to my GoPro and see what I see, control it, have access to my videos etc. Is there anything I can do to protect my privacy apart from totally disabling the WiFi from the camera and forget about any pairing whatsoever and using the camera alone without any phone or app?

PS. My phone is an iPhone X in case this matters and my friends was an iPhone 7

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 7 safety privacy concerns

First, what are the odds of this. You are out in public and decide to pair your camera to a phone. While you are establishing the connection, someone who has the GoPro app and wants to view/control your camera, maliciously connects and then starts snooping around? Of course, this person is also doing this while you sit there scratching your head wondering why your phone can't connect and are completely oblivious to your camera changing screens, beeping, and doing functions that you aren't commanding.

If you are using your GoPro for military or government purposes, yes this is a concern. For most civilians, it just not. If you are this concerned, you can easily just turn connections off or just being careful that there aren't any nefarious people lurking around trying to view your epic videos.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @toughdawn27287

The camera will not connect to another phone unless it's on pairing mode.

For reference, you  may check Pair Your Camera with the GoPro App

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

So if by chance I am in pairing mode anyone that is nearby can connect to my camera without any password or anything. I cannot understand the logic behind this.
Highlighted
Explorer

First, what are the odds of this. You are out in public and decide to pair your camera to a phone. While you are establishing the connection, someone who has the GoPro app and wants to view/control your camera, maliciously connects and then starts snooping around? Of course, this person is also doing this while you sit there scratching your head wondering why your phone can't connect and are completely oblivious to your camera changing screens, beeping, and doing functions that you aren't commanding.

If you are using your GoPro for military or government purposes, yes this is a concern. For most civilians, it just not. If you are this concerned, you can easily just turn connections off or just being careful that there aren't any nefarious people lurking around trying to view your epic videos.
Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for all the replies.
I understand that my concerns may sound a bit over the top but it is my first time using a GoPro. I am used to the old style of DSLR, non WiFi, just a memory card and that’s all. All these wireless connections, clouds, WiFi and stuff kinda confuse me. Maybe I am getting old lol. So as far as I understand there can be no way that more than one devices can be connected to the GoPro. I was not sure about that. I thought that maybe someone else could “sneak in” while I am controlling-shooting and watch everything without me knowing. And no I am not using the GoPro for government purposes. I just want to make sure my files are safe.
Highlighted
Explorer

Understood.

You are safe.