Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 mic adapter out of stock everywhere

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx wrote:
You didn't look very hard, I just found 5 in stock just doing a single search. If you look for my other posts, you will see where. Do your research!

I did plenty of research and couldn't find any. I also can't see any previous posts from you about them. Was this in the UK and for the Hero 7 Black and not the 4,5 etc?

Tourist

[ New ]

I have been checking the GoPro site weekly. I also can't be on there every day but if you found 5 for sale in the United States with a casual search I would really appreciate knowing where. I can find plenty for sale on Ebay and Amazon from people who are taking full advantage of the shortage by charging upwards of $200. Thanks but I'll pass. I have searched all the main outlets including B&H, Adorama, GoPro, Guitar Center, Full Compass, and others. All are out of stock with a predicted 4-6 week timeframe before they have any stock.

Tourist

[ New ]

Wow, three whole days?!? How did I miss that? 

Nomad

[ New ]
Yoi couldn't have searched thr gopro site. It was mentioned in this thread when it came back into stock a couple of days ago. For sh*ts and giggles I watched how long it took to go out of stock. It went out of stock within 24 hours last time they were in stock. This time it took about 2 and a half days. I knew they were in stock because of the notification I got about a post to this site. If you are just checking weekly, you will never get one. Not to mention the only site you really need tonchecknis gopro. They won't be sending out any to other retailers and make lesw money when they can't keep them in stock on their own site. They come back into stock about anywhere from a month to a month in a half between shippments.
Nomad

[ New ]
Lol at have fulltime job and can't check daily. It's a high demand item. Gopro has no control over the production. Schedules are done far in advance and in a lot of cases can't be changed foe an item like this. It literally takes a minute kr two to go to the website and check if they have come into stock. You have had time to come in and write responses daily but don't have time to check to see if they are in stock? If it was such a big deal the waybyoubsre gripi3 you would take the time to get a high demand item. Either it is as big a deal to you as you are trying to make it seem or it isn't. But no worries. I will be getting a few im the mail on Monday. They will be available for sale on ebay. Lol!
Hiker

[ New ]

And so this thread limps on and on...

When I started it my main question was Is there a temporary shortage of these adapters or are they going to be replaced with something better? They havent really answered...

Adventurer

[ New ]

WHy would a company answe. it's lost business if they said sorry out of stock.

DJI made their dedicated  mic dongle they answered no the Pocket won't fit hte action, and a  dedicated one will come out. WHEN peoplewant things now not later. they why did you and others buy this to use it NOW not later..  

I see GoPro dedicating a new adapter for the hero 8  and will it be  interchangable, answer is NO. why? Because hte camera will be Discontinued. when things get discontinued they go BYE BYE

Maybe it

s time for me to collect back my money on this adapter then  watch another camera  bite teh dust failing.

Hiker

[ New ]

Sorry you must be mistaking me for someone who gives a **bleep** what you think...

Nomad

[ New ]
While folks keep whining about this being out of stock the fact remains that the majority of action camera buyers aren't even interested in a external mic so this really isn't the big business killer folks are making it out to be. Since i have bee n able to get so many and flip them I have had one for months and haven't actually used it more than once or twice. Folks are overestimating the real demand for these. Outside of these forums have you actually seen anyone talk about it? Any vlog posts or articles? No because it's not a make or break accessory for gopro and it doesn't give DJI an advantage since theyvalso don't have one. Folks are making this shortage a much bigger issue than it is in the whole scheme of things.
Tourist

[ New ]

@portcityjames wrote:
Yoi couldn't have searched thr gopro site. It was mentioned in this thread when it came back into stock a couple of days ago. For sh*ts and giggles I watched how long it took to go out of stock. It went out of stock within 24 hours last time they were in stock. This time it took about 2 and a half days. I knew they were in stock because of the notification I got about a post to this site. If you are just checking weekly, you will never get one. Not to mention the only site you really need tonchecknis gopro. They won't be sending out any to other retailers and make lesw money when they can't keep them in stock on their own site. They come back into stock about anywhere from a month to a month in a half between shippments.

That's a lot more helpful information than previous posters have put up. I will start checking the GoPro site more frequently in hopes that they pop up a few for sale. I looked on their site after searching my normal vendors and saw it as out of stock so it was probably another week or so before I checked back. It would be nice if they posted an estimated "back in stock" date to help out but they would still probably sell like hotcakes given the amount of time it took for previous stock to sell out. I don't normally search forums for stock notifications on products. I mainly came here to see if there was any notice to why they were so scarce. I realize that this isn't a make or break accessory for most action camera users. I don't even mind that it's in a dongle format instead of being built into the camera. I would just like to by one for my type of video use. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Back in stock at B&H. Just copped mine with free shipping, Good luck!

Sucks that we're stuck using only the GoPro adaptor and there are no alternatives.

Tourist

[ New ]

Geez, thanks for the alert but now they are out again. Expected delivery in 4-6 weeks. It's like trying to win a lottery.

Sightseer

[ New ]
They really should reduce the price because at £50 it is robbery. I would like one but the price doesn't justify the importance of the product. I will probably only use it twice. GO PRO, drop the price to £20 and restock!
Tourist

[ New ]

I bought hero 7 a few weeks ago but waiting this mic adapter for months. How can a company's latest camera and product be in th stock but their mic adapter which can be used with their latest 3 cameras cannot be found anywhere in the world!! Ohh sorry, lets have a look at Ebay. Ohh I found one: £89!! Ohh another one: £117, ohh here it is used but ok: £63!!!  If I knew this, I would buy dji osmo instead of hero 7. Shame on you gopro!!

Explorer

[ New ]
DJI doesn't have an adapter for the Osmo Action either.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hey GoPro - I just had to switch action cam ecosystems because your mic adapter was out of stock EVERYWHERE and our trip/project starts next week. You lost about $1500 in camera sales plus almost as much in accessories, not to mention future sales now that I've had to switch. Win for Garmin.

Nomad

[ New ]
Lol! Congratulations you downgraded. I guess you showed them. I'm assuming you must be doing a lot of still footage or you have gimbal. Im sure Gopro will survive. LoL!
Sightseer

[ New ]

I was unhappy with $50 price tag but was going to buy anyway...

But look at this now :D

Explorer

[ New ]

The Pro Mic adapter uses a Conatex CX20812-11Z High Performance ADC. Conatex was bought out by Synaptic and this is most likely where the shortages are coming from. The price of the adapter is actually pretty reasonable considering the reasonably well-specced ADC and the build quality. While not officially waterproof, there is considerable durability enhancements done to the Pro Mic adapter to ensure it's reliability, even in extreme conditions. The entire PCB is potted in resin, and the exterior is a single molded piece of plastic. Even if you can't use it underwater, it would likely survive exposure to the elements. This takes some extra engineering during development, and likely adds to the manufacturing cost as well.

It's very unlikely that GoPro makes much profit from the sale of the Pro mic adapter.

People complain about the size, but it's large because it has a lot of stuff inside. The reason for putting the ADC in the mic adapter instead of the camera is for a few reasons. First, it keeps the cost of the camera lower. Second, it would have required putting more components to support the ADC into the camera, it would have increased power consumption directly within the camera, and finally, it would have increased the heat output considerably.

It's not known if GoPro is using Synaptic to manufacture the ADC for the Pro mic Adapter, but finding a comparable manufacturer and working out production is not a simple and quick task. Add to that the global shortage of components and the limited stock of the Pro Mic makes much more sense.

Nomad

[ New ]

Excellent explanation. The average consumer has no idea what goes into production of various products and the affect of supply chain factors. Orders are placed months in advance based on estimates of previous sales and are not always easily adjusted due to supply chain factors. The global shortage coincides with the introduction of the Ulanzi adapter mount and subsequently other adapter mounts that made the mic adapter far more unobtrusive. Folks who never considered getting the mic adapter due to it's size went and got them. This was an unexpected rush and with production schedules already set probably, changing them now would be problematic from a manufacturing standpoint. "Gopro should tell it's customers something". But no company wants to discuss production, supply chain, and planning with its customers. It's not done. They have probably discussed it with their vendors but that info is confidential and could have an affect on stock prices. And finally, it's a niche item within a niche market. In the whole scheme of things most action camera buyers are not concerned about this being out of stock. The only place this is being discussed is within a few forums.

Hiker

[ New ]

Oh my gosh. What hogwash. All the mic adapter does is take the audio and put it on the vidoe the SAME WAY the internal mics do. It's not a big deal. It's made in China so my guestimate is $10 tops. There is a screwup somewhere in GoPro and no one is taking the blame. AND no appology to the GoPro users that spent the $$ to buy one. I've had mine for 3 months and it works ok most of the time. The on/off button is a joke and takes several tries to make it work. Then the OS goes stupid and I have to take out the battery and then put it back in. That gets  things back to somewhat normal. The best way to change settings is with your phone. The touch screen is somewhat out of touch. Bottom line is you can take some great videos if you're willing to put up with some lousy ones too. And don't expect to take videos like the GoPro ads unless you learn Protune and shoot in "flat" and do post color. The learning curve to really good videos, with good audio, is pretty large. 

Explorer

[ New ]
Wow, exemplary hogwash while trying to call out hogwash. LOL. It's always entertaining to read post by people with very little knowledge writing as if they know facts. Unfortunately, it does little to help and sadly many fall for it. It's especially laughable to hear manufacturing cost. Parts alone do not make up the cost of a product.

As far as on/off button. Umm, it's on the side of the camera and works fine. As does the mic adapter. If you are having issues where you are pulling the battery, you should check your cards and maybe do a manual update. Also, turning off Auto Low Light seems to help (auto low light just automatically drops the frame rate to 30fps, so you really don't need it unless you don't know that high frame rates aren't good for low light).

Touch screen is difficult for you? LOL, pretty easy for most people. However, unlike most other cameras, GoPro utilizes Bluetooth wake and WiFi connection to make using the app pretty easy. I mostly use the app for transferring media and making Quik videos, but if you need it for settings, have at it. It does that well too.

When it comes to taking video, no, you do not need to use a flat color profile to obtain the same results as the GoPro media department. In fact, and this is confirmed, GoPro primary use the following settings:
Shutter - Auto
EV - 0
ISO MIN/MAX 100 (400 on their older cameras)
WB - Auto
Color - GoPro

It's not rocket science, especially compared to most cameras that also rely on adjustments to aperture and choosing the correct lens. Because YOU have crappy content or don't know how to position the camera for the best lighting, it doesn't mean others do as well. Most GoPro content that you see was not shot by GoPro but was user submitted.

As far as apologies. I've seen plenty of post from GoPro employees apologizing for the low stock of Pro Mic adapters. Most people don't use them, so it's hardly like they need to come out with a big news broadcast.
Tourist

[ New ]
It’s so annoying when people leverage anonymity for the sake of hostility and rudeness... The bottom-line for me is that I need native microphone capability for a 5-week moto-vlogging project. Carrying extra audio recorders is not an option. We leave in a few weeks. With no guarantees regarding the GoPro adapters availability, we were forced to switch our entire action cam ecosystem. A $2000+ win for Garmin and the VIRB’s Bluetooth mic capability.
Nomad

[ New ]
Exactly.
Tourist

[ New ]

The adaptor is currently in stock online at Ritz Camera, I just purchased one. FYI....

Good luck!

Tourist

[ New ]

I just jumped over to Ritz and grabbed one. Thanks for for the alert.

Nomad

[ New ]
Wow. Look at that. Changed his whole ecosystem to a lesser camera for nothing. SMH.
Tourist

[ New ]

Well @portcityjames aren't you a friendly one!? I wonder why GoPro allows so many trolls to post on their forum...

Switching actually turned out to be a blessing. We don't need a 4K hyper-stabilized monster with the latest and greatest features. We are moto-vlogging, so we need integrated audio that works. We had a production timeline by which we had to make a decision, and that timeline forced us to take action. (I'm not sure why that requires sacrasm or ridicule?) And the good news for us is that the Garmin's bluetooth mic capability works beautifully for our needs. We tested it today and it syncs perfectly with the bluetooth comm units already in our riders' helmets while also remaining FULLY WATERPROOF, which is WAY better than affixing the monstrous GoPro mic adapter to the helmets while simultaneously reducing the cameras' weatherproofing. I cannot overstate the value of retaining weatherproofing for our application. So in the end, we are grateful for GoPro's supply SNAFU, as we ended up with a better solution. That said, if GoPro were to integrate a similar bluetooth mic capability in a future model, then we would probably opt for whoever has the better camera. But until then, for our purpose, it's Garmin for the win.

Hiker

[ New ]

Excellent post and glad you got your problem solved. Too bad some can't just address the concerns but instead take the "I know everything and you don't" route. 

Explorer

[ New ]

@moto-therapy 

LOL, coming to a company branded site, talking about another companies cameras, and calling those who give you a little push back trolls? Yeah, I don't think you understand how that works. See, if I went to a Garmin forum and started talking negatively the expected reaction would be members who like Garmin saying negative things about me and/or my post. As I'm not an idiot, I'm well aware of this and so I show a little class and don't go to their forums and talk about the superiority of GoPro cameras and how only a fool would spend money on their overpriced camera system, poor resolution and color science, and five year old tech. If I did however, then yes, I would be trolling, and therefore worthy of the title troll. 

Enjoy your camera and best of luck. Not a big fan of the motor vlogging videos. But to each their own. My dog loves sticking his head out the window of the car for hours, so I'm sure he could appreciate them. Maybe it's for safety... But there are much better solutions for that... Many much cheaper too.

Oh well, guess we won't be seeing your rants around here for awhile. Good luck with Garmin.

Explorer

[ New ]

@superchargedbob 

@superchargedbob wrote:

Too bad some can't just address the concerns but instead take the "I know everything and you don't" route. 

Says the, "hogwash" guy who states BS as fact.
LMFAO! 

Nomad

[ New ]
Im3 the troll says thebguy that comes to GoPro site to complain about GoPro then brags about sticking to GoPro by grtting a lesser camera THEN tries to clean it up to say how they really didn't need all the bells and whistles GoPro offered. If that's the case you obviously didn't do your research since by using that logic you should not have been looking to buy a GoPro in the first place.You should have started with the camera that you ended up with in the first place. YOU didn't look for the best solution first. YOU looked at a lesser solution and got mad at them for not fitting your needs. How dare they try to sell me something I chose to consider that doesn't fit my needs because I didn't do my research. It's GoPro's fault.
Nomad

[ New ]
Meanwhile I think I still have 4 left to sell if this impossible to find iten. I seem to be able to getrt them with ease when they come into stock. I guess I'm just lucky, oh but wait, I get notifications from this same thread when folks post that they are back in stock somewhere. I guess I'm just special.
Hiker

[ New ]

Danielr15...Why are you acting like such a jerk here on this thread? Off you meds? Have an inferiority complex? If you don't respect other people's opinions they no one will have any respect for you. If you disagree with someone state your case but leave the personal crap out of it. Or just change your user name to asswipe.

Tourist

[ New ]

@portcityjames and @danielr15 

You win. Does that help you feel better? 

1. I am still the owner of multiple GoPros, and so I have every right to post GoPro related content on this forum, as long as it is done so in a factual manner.

2. Corporate forums have two major purposes: First, to provide customers a community in which they can share mutual support, ideas, and feedback. Second, to provide the corporation with a window into customers’ use of their products, for the purpose of improving customer service, R&D, etc.

3. Posting a negative experience or feedback about a corporation’s product does not constitute a “rant” unless it is done in a ranting sort of way.

4. Slapping “LOLs” and “LMFAOs” on trolling jabs does is a juvenile, yet ineffective, attempt to soften or mask them.

Your behavior of attacking the authors of posts that are not fully “GoPro positive” is not supportive. In fact, it effectively squashes meaningful interaction on this forum and limits the willingness of others to participate. This also prohibits GoPro from receiving feedback that might actually help improve future product development. Good corporations actually seek out constructive criticism and want to know why a competitor’s product works better for certain applications. They do not need, nor do they want, a self-declared fan boy or apologist to deflect this information from them. In the end, by jabbing at others in this forum, you are hampering the cause of the brand that you so obviously love. On a personal note, I encourage you to explore the many benefits of strategic-thinking and empathy. And a reading suggestion for you: “Emotional Intelligence: Why it can matter more than IQ,” by Daniel Goleman.

Nomad

[ New ]
Very thoughtful post. If all that thought was put into researching the correct camera for your actual needs imagine all the headache and stress you would have saved yourself. Next time read a book on logic so you can approach your situation more logically and not end up griping about a product you really didn't need being in stock. Oh yeah, LOL!
Nomad

[ New ]
By the way, I feel fine. I have sold over 20 mic adapters thanks just to notifications from this forum over the last couple of months so I feel great I've been winning. LOL!
Tourist

[ New ]

@portcityjames wrote:
Very thoughtful post. If all that thought was put into researching the correct camera for your actual needs imagine all the headache and stress you would have saved yourself. Next time read a book on logic so you can approach your situation more logically and not end up griping about a product you really didn't need being in stock. Oh yeah, LOL!

Not much headache or stress at all. I already had GoPros, but then had a new application for them. I would have just gone with the GoPros by default, but the lack of mic adapter stock caused me to thoughtfully research other options--one of which turned out to logically be a better fit for my application in the end. So you see...I thought, researched and used logic, and I am happy with the result. It's all part of the process. I'm dumbfounded as to why you have to be so freaking accusatory. Good for you that GoPro's stock SNAFU has worked to your favor.

Explorer

[ New ]
@superchargedbob
ooh, touchy! Let's see, I give out factual information and you respond with "hogwash" and commence with a tirade and acting like a jerk. Can't really say I feel inferior, especially to people who can't figure out a very simple camera, or that I can agree with BS comments (if that's what you mean by respect). You're free to have them, but I'm equally free to express my comments. Always makes me laugh when the insecure get upset when someone didn't agree with them or calls out their BS. They always resort to childish name calling and then project their own insecurities on others. Hogwash I tell ya, Hogwash! 😂🤣😅
Explorer

[ New ]

@moto-therapy

This is a member to member community. This isn't GoPro Support or their feedback page (BTW, they have a place to leave feedback so you might want to do a little browsing around the site before making silly claims like these comments somehow effect GoPro seeing or acting upon these comments).

BTW: RITZ cameras has been selling the Pro Mic for awhile now and have had a full stock.

Tourist

[ New ]

@moto-therapy wrote:

@portcityjames and @danielr15 

You win. Does that help you feel better? 

1. I am still the owner of multiple GoPros, and so I have every right to post GoPro related content on this forum, as long as it is done so in a factual manner.

2. Corporate forums have two major purposes: First, to provide customers a community in which they can share mutual support, ideas, and feedback. Second, to provide the corporation with a window into customers’ use of their products, for the purpose of improving customer service, R&D, etc.

3. Posting a negative experience or feedback about a corporation’s product does not constitute a “rant” unless it is done in a ranting sort of way.

4. Slapping “LOLs” and “LMFAOs” on trolling jabs does is a juvenile, yet ineffective, attempt to soften or mask them.

Your behavior of attacking the authors of posts that are not fully “GoPro positive” is not supportive. In fact, it effectively squashes meaningful interaction on this forum and limits the willingness of others to participate. This also prohibits GoPro from receiving feedback that might actually help improve future product development. Good corporations actually seek out constructive criticism and want to know why a competitor’s product works better for certain applications. They do not need, nor do they want, a self-declared fan boy or apologist to deflect this information from them. In the end, by jabbing at others in this forum, you are hampering the cause of the brand that you so obviously love. On a personal note, I encourage you to explore the many benefits of strategic-thinking and empathy. And a reading suggestion for you: “Emotional Intelligence: Why it can matter more than IQ,” by Daniel Goleman.

Bravo! This has to be one of the most restrained, succint and thoughtful comments I have seen in awhile. I don't see how any troll could possibly continue to dreg up the muck after reading your post. Well done, well done indeed! "The only victories which leave no regret are those which are gained over ignorance." 

Nomad

[ New ]
BOI STOP! LOL!
Sightseer

[ New ]

Need one! mzalesi@gmail.com

Nomad

[ New ]
Ritz camera may still have them.
Tourist

[ New ]

Ritz shows in stock but i called before ordering and they are out.

Tourist

[ New ]

@geezergamer wrote:

I just jumped over to Ritz and grabbed one. Thanks for for the alert.

Well, so much for that. Ritz Camera just sent me an email letting me know that they have cancelled my order due to unavailability of stock. So in other words, they sold me one in hopes that they would get them back in stock. Oops. I would appreciate it if anyone sees them for sale that they could put a mention on this post. And for sale I mean at the retail price of $49.95, not the rediculous eBay and Amazon gouging prices that are currently available.

Tourist

[ New ]

Same here. Some of the ebay gougers have the "make an offer" option and they don't like my $49.99 offer.

Tourist

[ New ]

I just found one that is supposedly in stock at www.clevertraining.com for the regular retail price, plus shipping. I will update whether or not they are able to fulfill my order. Fingers crossed.

Nomad

[ New ]
I ordered from them before. Got them fairly quickly too.
Tourist

[ New ]

@geezergamer wrote:

I just found one that is supposedly in stock at www.clevertraining.com for the regular retail price, plus shipping. I will update whether or not they are able to fulfill my order. Fingers crossed.

I just received an email stating that my order has shipped. If anyone is searching for an adapter you might want to jump on this now since there is no telling how many they have in stock. I chatted with someone at GoPro today and they could not tell me when they anticipated having them back in stock on their website.