Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 7 heating and battery drain

I bought my very first go pro 3 days ago, Go Pro Hero 7 Black. I am having the trouble of it heating up too quickly and battery drain too fast. I saw on the support page that a sd card has something to do but im not sure. I use a 128GB Sandisk imagemate A1 that I bough on walmart a week or 2 ago, brand new, opened just for the go pro. Camera works fine but it has those 2 problems and im not sure if its normal or should I change the camera. I have already done a reset twice. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 heating and battery drain

[ Edited ]
The camera can get really hot, especially on the edges of the lens, but as long as it does not turn itself off with overheat indication, it's fine.
Battery life is mostly dependant on your settings, see more about approximate times in this article (https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/gopro-camera-battery-life)
The battery drain should definitely not happen in the way you described. After 3-5 days of not using the camera I would be expecting battery level to drop maybe only few %, not to go empty. Be sure you are running latest software and have voice commands turned off. If the battery will still drain so fast, you might be having faulty battery or camera (reach tech support then).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Tourist

Hello,

The SD card could really be the issue here, be sure to use one of the cards from this list (https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations).

You shouldn't be too worried about heating as GoPro cameras use a safety mechanism that turns them off when they get too hot. Unless that happens often to you while recording, your camera is ok. It is usual for GoPros to get warm or even hot while recording.

About the battery drain, can you be more specific? How long does the battery last, what settings, etc.

Martin

Highlighted
Adventurer

Heat can be the battery, camera, and card as the chip is generating heat  it has to release it.   like anything  in a closed box too small it gotto heat up  faster.   the card  is it crashing the ca.  the battery drain.  lower your settings down  to conserve power like screen brightness. beeps.  how you keep things left on... will affect power.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Hi.I have same problems with Hero 7 black .Every time I recording with ,it goes not warm ,it goes HOT (olmost burning my hands) after prox 26-30min. of use and my battery life is aprox 50min.( i have no idea if that runing time is normal) and one more problem with battery is it drain my battery even if I don not use the camera (the camera is siting on my shelf and after 3-5 days is 0% ,even can not start it and have to change battery to use it)

does any one know how to contact GoPro to get this problems solved under waranty , I bought it 3 months ago

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]
The camera can get really hot, especially on the edges of the lens, but as long as it does not turn itself off with overheat indication, it's fine.
Battery life is mostly dependant on your settings, see more about approximate times in this article (https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/gopro-camera-battery-life)
The battery drain should definitely not happen in the way you described. After 3-5 days of not using the camera I would be expecting battery level to drop maybe only few %, not to go empty. Be sure you are running latest software and have voice commands turned off. If the battery will still drain so fast, you might be having faulty battery or camera (reach tech support then).
Highlighted
GoPro

Sorry to know that @greensummi0658,

Click Here to contact GoPro Customer Support. 

You may contact them via chat or request a call back.

Regards,

-Jay