Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 footage upside down when editing in Adobe Premiere CC

[ Edited ]

So it's one of two things

a,  either the image is saved correctly and Premiere is the only SW that actually interprets the (redundant) rotation metadata and flips the image the wrong way up

b, or the image is saved upside down and Premiere ignores the (necessary) metadata and doesn't flip it (while every other SW does)

I find it hard to believe (I might be wrong) that every other video SW is diligient about the rotation and one of the most advanced editing suites ignores it... so I'm leaning towards a, the image is already flipped correctly when saved and adding the rotation metadata is redundant, only causing confusion.

If anyone has the tools for editing metadata - try and remove the rotation tags from Hero 7 footage and if I'm right (a,) then it will come out OK in premiere. If I'm wrong, it will still be upside down in premiere but also in every other player (b,)

Highlighted
Hiker

Seems to be option B the likely...
Highlighted
Backpacker

...Abobe is the leader in editing photo/video...this is why I'm a little bit confound...

robert

Highlighted
Sightseer

Having the same issue with my Hero7 since I got it, firmware is all up to date as of writing this comment. The footage will edit and play in premiere right side up but I have to flip it 180° for it to export in the right orientation. Need a fix for this!
Highlighted
Hiker

Yes....as of now..they still have not fixed this issue...so I'm not able to use my GoPro 7 much!! Still using my GoPro 6 for the most part!!!
Highlighted
Sightseer

I'm having this issue too. Along with many issues with the gopro 7! Shuts off all the time while recording. Shuts off when out of wifi range of the iphone.... very tempted to check out the new cam from you know who! 

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Gopro 7 captures the video the same way you hold the camera. If the orientation is upside down, it simply adds a rotation tag to that upside-down video wich is supposed to tell the player: "Hey, turn me around while playing me!".

Older GoPro models rotated the video internally and recorded it with the proper orientation. So even older software and hardware played it properly.

With the way Gopro 7 handles orientation you might be running into issues using older software or even hardware players like an old tv. These systems don't respect the rotation tag of the video. I even have some trouble with concatenating multiple Gopro files with the current version of ffmpeg.

I think that's an issue that came up with hypersmooth. Maybe stabilizing while rotating each frame is too much load for GoPro's CPU.

Highlighted
Hiker

No that makes total sense!!!!! That is probably what's going on here!!! If GoPro doesn't fix this I'm not going to buy another GoPro!!