Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 7 didn't record everything

Hi all, first time messanger and first time gopro owner.

I figured i could record my sons soccer match yesterday since the coaches had asked for volunteers and i thought a grpro would be the simplest way other than my iphone to do so. All seemed well, thought i had captured the entire match including my sons 2 goals, but alas when i went to check t he recordings there were only a few (8) files and non longer than 10 minutes. the other files were either a few second to 3 miunutes. 

I used a SanDisk extreme 32 gig, which i dont know if thats the issue. it showed about an hour of recording time. and was also shooting at 2.7K @ 60 fps with stabilization. 

One detail is that it was a bit warm out and cam did feel a little hot, possible over heating or perfect storm of issues? needless to say i ended up with about 18 minutes out of 50 minutes of action.

What can i do to avoid this problem next time? umbrella? fan? better sd card? lower res/fps? 

thanks and i appreciate any feedback

Mike 

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 didn't record everything

These cameras overheat. Your use case is a worst case scenario because there is no airflow over the camera. Many many people have complained of the same thing like a kids graduation or a soccer match. Make sure you turn off hypersmooth if you're mounting the camera in a stationary position, try giving it some airflow, but it might still freeze at about 18 minutes. 

The admins in this forum are going to blame your SD card and send you on a wild goose chase. It's not your SD card, it's the camera.

Good luck!

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @mykeet

For cameras that feature unique high-performance video modes: 2.7K and higher resolutions, and/or frame rates above 60fps, it is normal for the camera to become warm and use more power when using these modes.

Other factors that can increase camera temperature and power consumption, and decreases camera recording time. 

• Lack of airflow around the camera
  • Using the camera with the GoPro App

If the camera gets too hot, a message appears on the screen indicating that the camera is shutting down. The camera stops recording, saves your video, disconnects from the GoPro App, and powers off. If this happens, let your camera sit and cool before attempting to use it again. 

For extended recording time in high-performance video modes, capture shorter video clips when in stationary use, and/or limit your use of features that increase power consumption, such as the GoPro App or BacPac accessories. To control your camera remotely at higher temperatures, use the GoPro remote instead of the GoPro App.

You may also reach out to our Support Team for assistance through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs  

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

thanks guys, i think next time ill avoid having the camera bake in the sun as it did.

Do you think id be better served not fiming the whole length of the game in one shot and breaking it up during stoppages or is that battery killer too? 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @mykeet

For long recordings, it is suggested to use the camera without the battery. Let it run off an external power source.

Thanks!

Ej