Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 7 black

I messed up taking a time lapse using my hero sessions. Showered it with sparks. Won’t take heat, trust me. So I thought I’d upgrade and got the Hero 7 Black. For lack of a better avenue I wanted to share my experience so far. Few days after getting the camera I took three time warps totaling maybe 20 min of run time. Four separate ones. Each one left the camera hot. And Killed the battery. When I charged it and turned the camera on I got a black screen that was powered on. Just no video. Hit every button. Had to pull the battery and reinsert and repower to get it back on. Today I went to the lake and bragged on my new camera. Turned it on and nothing but a black screen no responsive. Took the battery out and back in. Functioning. Got home and took three, five minute long videos with my head mount. Almost killed the battery. Took it off to plug in. Camera almost burnt my fingers it was so hot.

Is this normal? Black screens and intense heat? I love the camera it’s just these few things a few days out of the box that make me wary of a $250 purchase. Hoping to get community feedback but more importantly Gopros answer if this is normal for the camera to get so hot it won’t even charge. It is now it has cooled. But I don’t think this is what it’s supposed to do two days out of the box.

Waterproof is what I was going for. Bought my sessions second hand. Loved the gopro so much I wanted to replace it and can’t afford the 8. But don’t make sense that the camera should get to almost 100 degrees just recording a normal video. Need some help.
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 black

Hi @cooldusk23152

For cameras that feature unique high-performance video modes: 2.7K and higher resolutions, and/or frame rates above 60fps, it is normal for the camera to become warm and use more power when using these modes.

What were the rest of the camera settings used?

Does the same happen for other modes?

Can you also share the details of your SD card?

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Setting was 1440/60/L. I guess the default. I’ve never changed it. The card is the one sent when I purchased it from Gopro.

The camera will not turn off 60% of the time. I turn it off and turns back on auto. Gopro plus only uploads one video out of several. Camera stays hot even after being turned off. I charged it today and turned it off at 100% an hour later I
Got on the trail at it was at 19%, took one 2 minute video and it depleted the rest of the battery.
Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the camera, @cooldusk23152. If you haven't yet, do a manual firmware update to clear any possible issue with the current installation. The steps under Manual Update here will guide you through the process. 

It is important that the SD card is formatted prior to the update. Please be sure to save all your files prior to formatting the SD card. 

After the update, do a factory reset. Observe the camera again. 

Do you recall seeing a warning message on the camera that tells about the camera being powered off due to heat? Though you may not be recording in the identified high-performance modes, these tips can help improve camera performance.