Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 7 black turns itself on automatically and start recording, shutter button doesnt work

I'm experiencing something very weird from last night with my go pro controls. I had a ride yesterday morning where the GoPro ran out of the battery. I plugged it in for charging in the evening and it started behaving weird, it automatically starts taking videos and stop and then start again. The shutter button doesn't work. I did reset the camera a few times, formatted memory card, even after browsing few forums updated the firmware manually but nothing happened.

* formatted the card

* tried new card

* manually updated firmware to 1.80

Nothing works, What to do now?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 black turns itself on automatically and start recording, shutter button doesnt work

@maahmudur, this seems strange. Just to clarify, do these odd behaviors only happen when your camera is connected to a charger? If so, please ensure that the GoPro USB-C cable and wall charger with 5V 2A output are used.

Additionally, make sure that a recommended SD card is used. There is a list of recommended cards here https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308 for your reference.

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 black turns itself on automatically and start recording, shutter button doesnt work

aenriquez, Thank you so much for your reply. I'm really sorry and frustrated that I tried everything and still the problem is there. I changed cards, (SanDisk Extremes), formatted it, manually updated firmware, nothing works. Last night I switched off wifi connections and quickly capture and it didn't turn on automatically but there's a new issue now. The shutter button doesn't work and every time I put the battery in the camera starts shooting in timelapse mode. I'm going crazy, such an expensive product with a renowned brand name giving me this experience. I bought it from Australia but now I'm in Bangladesh and there's no support here. I don't know what to do. 

Highlighted
Tourist

I have a similar issue .. but not quite as serious. Ever since I bought the camera, and on all firmwares since, if the voice recognition is turned on, the camera will randomly turn itself on (even in a quiet room) and record a video lasting about 12 mins. It then stops and shuts down. This can happen several times at random intervals (I say random, I have not found a pattern) until the battery us dead. Quick Capture is set to off, and the default turn-on mode is burst or photo.

This doesnt happen if the voice recognition is off.

Highlighted
GoPro

@maahmudur, thank you for posting back with an update. We try to help out as best as we can. Please contact our Support team so they can help you with the next troubleshooting steps. You may reach them by phone or live chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs.

If contacting them by phone, please make sure that the network allows calls to toll-free numbers.

If having trouble connecting to our Chat Support team. You may try changing the location and language to "US, English" on the webpage.

Highlighted
Sightseer

good day @maahmudur , have you already resolved your problem regarding your gopro's shutter button not working? i manually updated my software but still, the shutter button does not function. 

Highlighted
Tourist

hello @notcharlie , no, the problem is still there and the camera is just sitting somewhere in my room. I don't use it anymore and there's no way I can send it to support/service from Bangladesh. I've tried doing everything, every solution provided on the internet but no luck. It's possibly a hardware problem and yes my GoPro was only months old and this just happened. really disappointing. 

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

You can still contact our Support team to see what we can do to help. You can reach our team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs.