Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 7 black takes twenty seconds to shut down, freezing and very hot battery?

My hero 7 black used for a few days filming keeps freezing switched on with a still frozen image on screen, it takes around twenty seconds to shut down when its not completely stuck frozen... the only way to reboot and switch the gopro off from frozen is to remove the battery, when i remove the battery it feels way to hot, i have tried a manual update to reinstall the software this has not cured my issue, i have five memory cards all cards do the same thing, anyone know how to cure this, live chat is too busy to contact at the minute?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 7 black takes twenty seconds to shut down, freezing and very hot battery?

If the camera freezes, don't pull the battery. Press and hold the side Mode button for about 12 seconds and then release. Puling the battery doesn't allow for a proper reboot.

The battery will get very hot inside the small waterproof action camera. The camera will auto shut off if it gets too hot.

Sometimes it does take awhile for the camera to completely power off. This isn't an uncommon experience.

Freezing is an issue that you should not be experiencing. Make sure your cards are from this list https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308#HERO7

You should also perform a FULL (not quick) format of the card, followed by a format in the camera. You should also do a factory reset of the camera since you have been pulling the battery (Preferences>Reset>Factory Reset).

What resolutions and frame rates are you seeing this behavior?

Is Auto Low light turned on? The camera will work best with this turned off. It's not really needed (unless you don't know that you should use lower fps 24-30 when recording in low light).

You can also improve performance by locking the camera orientation to either UP or DOWN.

Finally, GoPro Plus is free for the first month and will allow you to get priority support 24/7 https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/subscription/gopro-plus-monthly-subscription/GoProPlusMonthly.html

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 7 black takes twenty seconds to shut down, freezing and very hot battery?

If the camera freezes, don't pull the battery. Press and hold the side Mode button for about 12 seconds and then release. Puling the battery doesn't allow for a proper reboot.

The battery will get very hot inside the small waterproof action camera. The camera will auto shut off if it gets too hot.

Sometimes it does take awhile for the camera to completely power off. This isn't an uncommon experience.

Freezing is an issue that you should not be experiencing. Make sure your cards are from this list https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308#HERO7

You should also perform a FULL (not quick) format of the card, followed by a format in the camera. You should also do a factory reset of the camera since you have been pulling the battery (Preferences>Reset>Factory Reset).

What resolutions and frame rates are you seeing this behavior?

Is Auto Low light turned on? The camera will work best with this turned off. It's not really needed (unless you don't know that you should use lower fps 24-30 when recording in low light).

You can also improve performance by locking the camera orientation to either UP or DOWN.

Finally, GoPro Plus is free for the first month and will allow you to get priority support 24/7 https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/subscription/gopro-plus-monthly-subscription/GoProPlusMonthly.html
Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the reply danielr15. I have paid £5 per month for GoPro plus but I get a message to say all advisors are busy the camera is three months old but only used on two holiday trips, I have tried holding the mode button to shut the camera down but this does not unfreeze the camera, the only thing that works for me is to remove the battery... this winds me up as I use the camera swimming so this means a trip to the shore to dry then open the back open the GoPro pop the battery out and start again.. I film in 1080p 60 FPS I use sandisk extreme cards, 32gb 64gb and 128gb cards, I have tried all the tips you mention removing low light ect I have contacted live chat previously and have tried a manual install of software also, I was confident that this had resolved my issue but when I used the camera again it didn’t change, any other ways to force a reset without removing the battery?
Highlighted
Explorer

Holding the side Mode button should work.  There wont be any response or indication from the camera while you do this.  It must be pressed for 10 full seconds (which is why I say 12 to ensure the full 10 has passed) and then released.  It's only after you release the Mode button that the camera will reboot (sometimes after a brief delay).

Since this is happening with more than one SD card, you might just need to get your camera exchanged.  I find the chat option works best for me.

I was having freezing issues with my HERO7 Black, but in my case it turned out to be one particular SanDisk Extreme v30 64GB card.  I use several cards throughout the week so it took me awhile to identify that it was just this one particular card.  I numbered all of my cards with a permanent pen 1-5 and anytime I had a freezing issue I made note of which card it was.  After a couple weeks I had confirmed that it was only with the one card, and usually after about 20 minutes of using the camera.  The card works fine in my phone, but for whatever reason, it just doesn't keep up with my camera. 

I have a real love hate, mostly hate, relationship with SanDisk and prefer, and have had better experience with, Samsung and Lexar.  Micron, the old manufacturer of Lexar, sold the Lexar branding and trademark rights to the Chinese company Longsys, so I don't know how good they are anymore.  I did just recently purchase a Lexar 677X (the video model) to test out but haven't gotten around to it yet.Having been using GoPro cameras since the 2010 HD HERO, I can tell you that SD cards most certainly do matter and can have profound effects on the camera performance.  I would make sure you have done a FULL (not quick) format of your cards followed by a format in the camera.  It is recommeded by the SD card association (the people that regulate and oversee SD card benchmark standards) that you use this tool.

Best of luck!

Highlighted
Adventurer

then press the Mode on/off for a full 35 seconds that will clearly shutthings off and reset. ask me or ask Dan how many times  that worked for me?     My suggestion you got a smartphone  take a video postto googledrive, dropbox youtube,  vimeo, tinypic whoever.  and press for 35 seconds  and post. No call gopro.

Highlighted
Tourist

How does having a smart phone help with the freezing issue?