Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Hero 7 black freezes and front display dead pixels

I've used my new GoPro a handful of times, maybe 25% of the time the camera freezes while recording. I can only fix it by hard powering off, but I've lost whatever I was filming by that point.

Have the latest softwate, I'm not in any extreme conditions (~20c water), battery is full and using the SD card that came with the camera from GoPro. I've bought almost every reincarnation of the gopro and this isn't the first time I've received a lemon. One time it said SD card corrupted, all data will eb lost (or something like that). Turned it off and on and fortunately the footage was still there.

Also, the front display has three horizontal lines of dead pixels, factory reset doesn't change anything.

Please help as I've been on hold for ages and have given up, with GoPro altogether.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Hero 7 black freezes and front display dead pixels

You are best to consult with a Rep at the chat, or phone then with a site the reps here be more then happy to direct you over to  agai nteh reps there, you did  deal with them before for   a replacement.

Possible the sdxc card needs formatting , in Full, and hte front screen faulty, and  that be one good reason to talk wit ha Rep for another replacement.

FISH

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 black freezes and front display dead pixels

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @redbluff3847. To help resolve the issue, as this might be related to the camera's firmware error, please try reinstalling the firmware update of the camera. This can also help correct any errors with the current software installation. Follow the manual update instructions specified on this article: Software Update Instructions for HERO7 Cameras

• NOTE: Make sure the UPDATE folder is unzipped/extracted, before placing it on the SD card. If the folder is compressed, the camera will not be able to read it.
  • Ensure the UPDATE folder does not have any additional characters in the folder title, i.e. "UPDATE (1)". The camera will only recognize a folder titled "UPDATE", in upper case letters with no additional characters.

In addition, it is advisable to format the SD card before use. (NOTE: Reformatting the SD card will delete all data off of the card, so be sure that you save any videos or pictures you want to keep on your computer before reformatting the SD card.) 

If the issue persists after going through the suggested troubleshooting steps, and after using different recommended microSD cards and redoing the software update, there is likely an issue with your camera. Please let our Support team know so they can help you with the next steps. You may reach them by phone or chat.