Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Hero 7 black battery to 0% while off

[ Edited ]

Hero 7 battery goes to 0% randomly after short period, while its apparently off.

Yes, randomly. Sometimes it takes a week to drain, while wake on voice is on.

But sometimes goes to 0% from 90% while wake on voice is off in 12 hours. Totally random, just like when gopro goes to deep sleep (ie when its not acessible to turn on via gopro app).

Why? Why is the firmware is so unstable, bugged? Why is gopro so overpriced, while gopro has the same problerms, like the original chineese cameras? (Gopro also manufactured in china).

Are the firtmware, and desktop development outsourced to "indian youtube programmers"?

I regret that i took the hype of gopro, and spent too much money on such a low quality product, with so many flaws... for this much money i expect a nearly perfectly working product.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 black battery to 0% while off

@disconnect

Not really sure about that hash checking but this is just based on my experience. 

Update from mobile phone might cause a problem.

Even resetting the camera won't help but once you update or install the camera firmware manually by downloading the file on the GoPro website it fixes the problem. 

You can also contact GoPro customer support for further assistance: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

-Jay

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

I've tried manual update, months ago. Looked like it worked, but that was just the random factor. Same happens randomly, the battery is drained to 0% even if few hours, simply because gopro softwares, including firmwares are very low quality, untested, unstable.

Not just this happening, but sometimes i can't turn off my gopro (simple no reaction to power button, or shutter button while quikcapture enabled), i can only turn it off with connecting charger, while the battery is at 70%.

Many other software related flaws too, which could be fixed, by hiring better software developers.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Sightseer

I have the same issue...

Apperently the gopro doesn't turn off, even if you press the power button long, as usual.

I just noticed, that the gopro turns on by itself after 5 to 8 seconds after beeing turned off.

I will try a manual firmware update via sd-card to see if this helps.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @disconnect,

Please try this. 

Drain your battery completely and charge it again. 

After that update your camera manually. 

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras

Make sure to follow the manual firmware update instruction. 

After manual firmware update, make sure to turn off Wi-Fi and voice command before turning off. 

Check if the wake up on voice is turned on -- Switch off wake up on voice. 

Check if that will fix the problem. 

-Jay

Highlighted
Hiker

Sometimes yes, there is a bug switching off with power button. It plays the shutdown beeps, the indicator UI disappear but the screen stays on showing the camera picture.

Thats why i use voice command to shut down, and even the screen goes off. But sometimes still drains the battery

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

@graytree76514 wrote:

Hi @disconnect,

Please try this. 

Drain your battery completely and charge it again. 

After that update your camera manually. 

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras

Make sure to follow the manual firmware update instruction. 

After manual firmware update, make sure to turn off Wi-Fi and voice command before turning off. 

Check if the wake up on voice is turned on -- Switch off wake up on voice. 

Check if that will fix the problem. 

-Jay

Why? Isn't there a hash checking of the firmware at updates? So why it would be corrupted, to install the same update again? As the 1.90 firmware, the latest installed already.

Highlighted
GoPro

@disconnect

Not really sure about that hash checking but this is just based on my experience. 

Update from mobile phone might cause a problem.

Even resetting the camera won't help but once you update or install the camera firmware manually by downloading the file on the GoPro website it fixes the problem. 

You can also contact GoPro customer support for further assistance: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

-Jay

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

I've tried manual update, months ago. Looked like it worked, but that was just the random factor. Same happens randomly, the battery is drained to 0% even if few hours, simply because gopro softwares, including firmwares are very low quality, untested, unstable.

Not just this happening, but sometimes i can't turn off my gopro (simple no reaction to power button, or shutter button while quikcapture enabled), i can only turn it off with connecting charger, while the battery is at 70%.

Many other software related flaws too, which could be fixed, by hiring better software developers.

Highlighted
GoPro

@disconnect, if the issue persists after going through the suggested troubleshooting steps, our Support team will be able to assist you with the next steps. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.