Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 black Telemetry Not Showing in Dashware 1.9.1

Hello @superdusk47836. This may have something to do with the incompatibility between the HERO7 camera and Dashware 1.9. See How to Overlay Telemetry from GoPro Cameras in Dashware

There is a group here in the Hub that specializes in obtaining GPS information in more useful formats. They might be able to help. You may follow this link to join the group. 

Highlighted
Hiker

I believe this is not the correct answer. The "incompabitility" of hero7 files with dashware was reportedly just a difference in data formatting. The xml profile is meant to tell dashware which columns map to which data so that it can properly interpret the data, which it otherwise pulls just fine. (That's the whole point of having all those different data template profiles in xml.)

The problem here seems to be that dashware isn't recognizing the template file and listing it among the dozens of possibilities. I have the same problem. The instructions in these threads usually say to put the hero 7 profile into the c:/programfiles/dashware/datatools/dataprofiles folder, but if you look there, you'll see few (or zero) profiles. If you open dashware and go to edit data profiles and have it open the data profiles folders (a button in one of those dialogues) you'll see that it has put all those profiles in a documents folder: user\Documents\DashWare\DataProfiles\

However, I have moved the Hero 7 xml template (and karma, and other) xml template files into this folder and for some reason dashware doesn't add them to the dropdown list of available templates. I'm not sure how to get it to do that. Trying the various "add" buttons in the profile dialogues has only confused me, so it's possibly user error here in my case.

Highlighted
Hiker

The log file for dashware shows that the xml data profile fails to conform to what dashware is looking for (lacking a few things like line-start, etc.) I added those to the xml file myself, and the data profile then loaded. However, it wasn't properly mapping all required fields in dashware (lacking running time in seconds). After manually mapping that to the first column in the gopro data csv generated by dashware, the data will load, but the speed values are crazy and there's no map. The speed columns seem to be properly mapped to what dashware pulls into the csv (eg my bike values look correct, 5-25 mph) but the gauges in dashware show I am riding 170 mph. Obviously something is a long way off with the column mapping and or mapping from columns to dash instruments. Someone with patience could probably build the hero7 profile from scratch (I'd be surprised if it weren't done already). I may give it a shot later.

Still unreal that GoPro can't get this right. They own Dashware. Hero7black is their flagship camera. No way to get decent telemetry gauges from any of their software.

Highlighted
Hiker

I don't know why it didn't occur to me to just use the GPX with dashware. (Maybe since it defaults to using its own CSVs, it seemed to prefer them.) Anyway, using GPXes exported from Hero7 Black footage, dashware seems to do fine after you sync the video and the track. That, at least, is something, and since dashware seems to be able to export gauge sequence files, and can have a lot more gauges (and you can tweak your own) that makes it a lot more useful than Quik once you get things rolling and get over the learning curve.

Highlighted
Sightseer

After a bit of frustration, I have had success with my Hero 7 Black footage in DashWare.

Here is what I did:

1. Copied Hero7BlackGPMF.xml to the DashWare/DataTool/DataProfiles folder.
  2. Renamed GoProGPMF.xml to GoProGPMF.xml_old (keeping it just in case...)
  3. Renamed Hero7BlackGPMF.xml to GoProGPMF.xml.
  4. Created a New Project (I used the GoPro Template Imperial).
  5. Added my Hero 7 Black footage (waited while DashWare extracte the GPMF data).
  6. Choose the "GoPro" data profile.
  7. Moved gauges around as desired. At this point they display the telemetry data.

I suppose I wouldn't be able to edit older GoPro footage without restoring GoProGPMF.xml, but I only plan on using the Hero 7 from now on.

I hope this helps someone.

Doug

Highlighted
Hiker

I'm not sure steps 1-5 were necessary. I tried using the stock GoPro Data profile with the CSV pulled from my H7b footage a couple days ago, and it linked up perfectly. I could have sworn it didn't do that originally. I can no longer remember if I had tweaked that profile or not.

I just tested it again (on a hyperlapse) and the stock GoPro profile worked fine.

Highlighted
Hiker

Forget that.  Just tested this telemetry data more thoroughly and while it looks like the map is OK (except where the H7b couldn't get a GPS lock), the speed data is completely screwed up, even after sync. Not sure why, but I guess the greater point is that this isn't even close to simple, with any of the GoPro tools.

Highlighted
Tourist

I got thrrough the process of getting the data into dashware, but now I have a different issue.  I am trying to get the gauges working for a time lapse video.  They all work, but the guages are going at a non time lapse data rate, so its way behind.  Anyone have any ideas on how to speed that up so that it can sync properly with the video?

I am really doing this because they dont have the same data option guages in the desktop app vs the mobile app for gopro quik and of course I want one of the guages from each..  pain in the rear...