Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 7 battery follow on to recent post

[ New ]

I have just purchased GoPro Hero 7 Black due to recommendations to record holiday events whilst taking grandchildren away. Used for second time today and found that after short use batterdead and GoPro hot and started to look at articles finding the following:

Hi @downtowncat,

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear about the trouble. When using 2.7K or higher, and/or 60FPS above, it is normal for the camera to become warm and use more power. Lack of airflow around the camera and using the camera with the GoPro App can also increase camera temperature, power consumption, and decreases camera recording time.

Additionally, please make sure that you are using a recommended SD card for your camera. Check this article to see our list of the most up-to-date GoPro recommended microSD cards.

If this isn't the case, reinstalling the firmware update of the camera can help correct any errors with the current software installation. Follow the manual update instructions specified in this article: Software Update Instructions for HERO7 Cameras

If the issue persists, our Support team will be able to assist you with the next steps. You may reach them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs.

Kind Regards,
Ann

I am a little concerned as bought for action and 4K, battery runs out quickly and suggested in article that running above 2.7K makes it hot. It is being used in cover provided and all have been outside and or in water, should I be worried allowing grandchildren to use in water and touching it? Is there likely to be upgrades to resolve? Is anything being considered to improve battery life as presumably people are using for serious sporting events so an hour of life must be insufficient for those purposes. Already had to buy battery pack to be able to charge whilst out?

I wou7be grateful for any thoughts/help.

thanks

Rob

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 battery follow on to recent post

[ New ]

Hi @adroitrang31157,

Using high-performance video modes: 2.7K and higher resolutions, and/or frame rates above 60fps, can cause the camera to become warm but not too hot. You can find more information about the camera's performance in extreme temperatures here.

Are you using a recommended SD card for your camera? Using non-recommended SD cards can also cause such problem in the camera. If you need more details regarding this, I found this thread where another Hub member provided some insights about using microSD cards that are known to work well with the model you have.

Have you already gone through the suggested troubleshooting steps on the post? Should you still get a runtime that is significantly shorter than the expected battery life, despite you using a recommended SD card and the camera being updated to the latest firmware, let our Support team know. This way, they can help you with the next steps. You may reach them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs.

Kind Regards,
Ann

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @adroitrang31157,

Using high-performance video modes: 2.7K and higher resolutions, and/or frame rates above 60fps, can cause the camera to become warm but not too hot. You can find more information about the camera's performance in extreme temperatures here.

Are you using a recommended SD card for your camera? Using non-recommended SD cards can also cause such problem in the camera. If you need more details regarding this, I found this thread where another Hub member provided some insights about using microSD cards that are known to work well with the model you have.

Have you already gone through the suggested troubleshooting steps on the post? Should you still get a runtime that is significantly shorter than the expected battery life, despite you using a recommended SD card and the camera being updated to the latest firmware, let our Support team know. This way, they can help you with the next steps. You may reach them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs.

Kind Regards,
Ann

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,

Yes using Sandisk as recommended on purchase.

Turned to forum to seek if common problem and viewed previous post and detail to find others have same issue, hence the questions.

GoPro up to date with firmware.

I purchased what I believed was best model and manufactured to run 4K, however it seems that it is a claim rather than a capability. Unfortunately it does not appear the GoPro 7 Hero Black is fit for purpose at this time which is disappointing.

I will continue using whilst away and see if heat and battery life changes during next few days.

Thanks for information.

Rob

Explorer

[ New ]
SanDisk is the maker. What model (name) and size is the card?
GoPro

[ New ]

@adroitrang31157, moreover, using GoPro USB-C cable and recommended chargers will help prevent any issue in the camera.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, it’s the extreme 64gb

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, yes I am using the GoPro cable directly into a usb Port.

GoPro

[ New ]

@adroitrang31157, if you continue to experience issues with your camera, despite going through the previous suggestions, you may contact our Support team so they can look further into the details with you and assist you on the next process.