Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 7 battery drain

I’ve noticed that when the 7 is switched off the battery drains in a few hours.
Is this normal? Is the unit in some kind standby? Bluetooth?
Can the camera be easily shut down completely to eliminate this or does the battery need removing?
Thanks
Nick
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

Hi @nickd1407,

I think you're right.

It's the wireless connection that's draining the battery on standby. 

Please try to manually turn it off also try to disable the wake up on voice command before shutting down the camera for now as a temporary fix.

Regards,

-Jay 

Sightseer

Does the reply temporary fix above mean a fix is coming for this?  2 nights ago I left both options on and it went from 100% to 0% by the time I tried to use it.  Last night I turned the power on voice command off and it drained from 98% to 94% in 9 hours.  I am really trying to love this camera but man, there sure are a lot of issues for this to be the “save GoPro’s financial life” camera.

Nomad

GoPro's reward the user who learns their features and behaviors.    

Battery drain is certainly avoidable.

Hiker

When I don't use my camera, I turn off wireless communications. Voice command is also off.
I haven't used My camera for two days now and I just checked what the battery level is now. It has drained from 100% to 99%. 👍

I also have noticed that If I use some other usb-c cable than the one which came with the GoPro, it won't charge to full 100%. Charging or transferring files with other cables also tends to freeze the camera much more often.
Hiker

I agree, I’m finding many glitches.
Hopefully to be resolved by an early firmware update?!
Hiker

Maybe the manual should explain the battery drain?If you charge one evening and take out to use the next day to find the battery flat it’s not good.
Next firmware update should maybe have two power down options. Standby and full off?
Nick
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

I have noticed that when I start recording by pressing the "rec" button while the camera is off, and then I press it back to finish record, somehow the camera stays awake at certain level because I get a 100% to 0% drain in a few hours. Lots of issues to solve, guys.