Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

[ New ]
Seems to happen randomly at best. I generally follow the guidance from GoPro and the Warranty/Usage pamphlet that comes with the camera and take my battery out of the camera when I'm not using it, but I have had a couple of battery drains. For me, it seemed to be related to a particular SanDisk Extreme v30 card that I was using (my other four v30 cards seem fine), but it could have just been coincidence (although that one particular card also caused the camera to freeze a few times).
Hiker

[ New ]
Good bye GoPro.
Hello DJI Osmo action!
Adventurer

[ New ]

Yeah I not jump ship that fast 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi same here I dont have another $1,500 to spend since all the extrasI got with this 7 Black just wish all the features I asked for would be implimented in firmware plus a fix for this drain issue its fine whilst actually using it

Cheers,Brent

Tourist

[ New ]
Osmo Action is out! See you there!
Even if you have gadgets, they are compatible with the Dji's new action camera!
https://www.dji.com/en/mobile/osmo-action
Tourist

[ New ]
Just about to sand that GoPro garbage back and get a new Osmo for a refund from reseller 😃
Hiker

[ New ]
I’ve done just that
Tourist

[ New ]

I got my 3th replacement for my Hero 7 White, still the same problem about battery drain when camera is off and everything turned off. Switching or removing sd-card doesn't solve the problem. Last night I made last test and battery went from 100% to 70% in just 6 hours when everything were off! I will probably return also this camera to get the new Osmo. It's a shame that GoPro is not able to fix the problem since I'm sure that it's a software issue and not an hardware issue.

Hiker

[ New ]
I’ve had 3 h7 blacks and returned all for refund.
Just got the Osmo Action, seems very good so far. Bye bye gopro 😀
Hiker

[ New ]
I have and the dji is great!
Tourist

[ New ]
This may be a workaround until the problem gets fixed through a firmware upgrade...

- turn GoPro off
- remove battery
- push power on button for about 30 seconds while battery removed (this should clear any capacitors)
- reinsert battery

Don't turn on again until you are ready to use the GoPro.

My battery has stayed at a given level for the last 12 hours. I have started it up, checked battery level, and then followed the above power down steps for 5-6 reps.

I'm guessing from all the previous messages and my own experience that the shutdown sequence is not turning everything off the way it should leading to battery drain. Removing the battery and clearing the capacitor(s) ensure that things are powered down the way they should. The red light blip on battery insertion does not start up the battery drain.

Hope this works for you.
Hiker

[ New ]
They ain’t gonna fix it, it’s been going on since launch.
Do what I did, send it back for a refund and buy an osmo action. Brilliant camera!
Tourist

[ New ]

Sadly I'm one of many who waited too long to return the camera for a refund, thinking that for sure GoPro would address this problem in a software update. 

It's a little funny that their support people keep trying to blame the SD cards.  This is just a red herring.  If a memory card can successfully record it's entire capacity at 4k res, it surely has no problem with whatever the camera needs to do at shutdown time. 

This has been my solution so far:

1.  Turn off all wi-fi connections

2.  Definitely turn off the wake on voice feature

3.  If you start the camera from "off" with quick capture by pressing the record button, it won't really turn all the way off when you press the record button again.  Turn it back on with the power button, and then turn it off.  The remaining trick is to wait 10 seconds between those steps.  eg:  wait 10 seconds after shutting down with the record button before turning the camera back on with the power switch, then wait another 10 seconds before shutting it back off with the power switch

Thas has worked reliably for me for several days.  

I hope this thing falls off my helmet at 80mph so I can justify getting the new DJI cam.

Hiker

[ New ]
Well today my batteries doing that same thing...I've charged it twice now and within just a few hours it's back down to 11% or 4% this is ridiculous!! I've had more trouble with the hero GoPro 7 than any other GoPro this has been terrible.. here lately I've been using the hero 6 black.... The only thing I use is 7 for any more stability that's it!!
Hiker

[ New ]
I sure hope so cuz I've took my GoPro back once returned it and then got another one from GoPro and still the same issues!! I just rather stick with GoPro 6.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @peterbilt. Sorry to hear about the trouble. If you haven't yet, please get in touch with our Support team. They will be able help with the issue. You may reach them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . 

Sightseer

[ New ]

It is the product's job to accomodate the user, not the user's job to accomodate the product.   

Hiker

[ New ]
I did already!!!! Also I had another issue of not being able to record upside down then support said it was a defect I had to exchanged the hero 7 one time already..spent a week and a half with out it and still didn't fix the issue ..... Now they want me to do it again....I still use it for right side up stability but thats it!!! Other than that I'm sticking with hero 6 with most of my shots
Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya wrote:

Hello @peterbilt. Sorry to hear about the trouble. If you haven't yet, please get in touch with our Support team. They will be able help with the issue. You may reach them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . 

You guys have some set posting the same crap over and over again!! Fix the dam cameras or give us our money back!!

Hiker

[ New ]
Can’t believe they still say the same crap! I don’t believe it is fixable with firmware.
I’ve had three sevens and all went back for a refund.
I now have the osmo action and it’s brilliant!
Explorer

[ New ]
The condensation buildup on the front LCD is awesome!
Adventurer

[ New ]

Well there is  big difference of trapped water and entry water.

At least the company did  one and the other  the users.

Lol   

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hello,

I am commercial paragliding tandem pilot. I am using gopro so often and i used every gopro. I am living many problem with hero 7. Big problem is batery drain off time. Somehow Battery drain gopro off time and i could find what is the problem!!! But if gopro off time got warm, battery finished. Do you have any solution? Other things camare freezes often and sometimes you do turn off camera or pictures&movies, it is waiting about a minutes. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Found out that my Hero 7 black also drains the battery. In a few days the battery goes to fricking Zero. Never happened with the Hero 5.

And of course, if the battery is empty, the clock also resets. What the actual..... GoPro? Fix it quickly or i'm sending the camera back, i don't have time for this....

Explorer

[ New ]
Don't store the battery in the camera. If it's been days since you last used the camera, put the battery in, connect to either the Quik desktop app or mobile app and the date/time will be updated. Or, you can just enter it yourself.

It doesn't matter if you do or don't want to keep the battery out of the camera. Keeping it out is the best way to prevent battery drain.

The other option is to remove the battery and SD card after charging, press the side mode button for about 10-12 seconds, and then re-insert the SD card and then battery. Otherwise, just keep the battery out of the camera as is stated in the Warranty+Usage guide.

If you aren't happy with these options, return it. You have 30-days from purchase. If it's after your 30-days, then learn to adapt. Read the little pamphlet that came with the camera, it states to not store the battery in the camera. So Don't.
Hiker

[ New ]
I've already returned my GoPro!! I'm not returning it again I'm sick of this!!!! both times that I've done a return on my GoPro they gave me a brand new one and i still have the same issues!!! Although my battery drain problem is fixed....what I did was I simply just turned off the Wi-Fi setting now the battery does not drain! but I still have the issue with the upside down recording not coming out right side up!! So I'm still using the GoPro 6 for most of my upside down recording!!
Hiker

[ New ]
And if I get one more issue out of this GoPro 7 I'm going to throw it out the window!!!
Explorer

[ New ]
Upside down recording. Well, if you have even a moderately decent video editor this shouldn't be an issue. I've not experienced this. When I set orientation to UP or Down, it records correctly. Of course, when in auto I've had the camera angled incorrectly so the image recorded in the wrong orientation, but I just rotated it in my editor. No big deal.

What you do with your camera is your business, but I'm sure you could get a few buyers who would gladly pay you for it. Or, you could donate it to a charity or even a local library. However, if throwing it out a window gives you relief, just look to make sure you don't hit anyone. Otherwise, have at it. I love my HERO7 Black and use it almost daily. Amazing quality and I've captured some priceless moments.

Best of luck!
Tourist

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:
Don't store the battery in the camera. If it's been days since you last used the camera, put the battery in, connect to either the Quik desktop app or mobile app and the date/time will be updated. Or, you can just enter it yourself.

It doesn't matter if you do or don't want to keep the battery out of the camera. Keeping it out is the best way to prevent battery drain.

The other option is to remove the battery and SD card after charging, press the side mode button for about 10-12 seconds, and then re-insert the SD card and then battery. Otherwise, just keep the battery out of the camera as is stated in the Warranty+Usage guide.

If you aren't happy with these options, return it. You have 30-days from purchase. If it's after your 30-days, then learn to adapt. Read the little pamphlet that came with the camera, it states to not store the battery in the camera. So Don't.

sounds like you dont understand the issue at all:

9:01am - fully charged gopro (100%)

10:02am - record something awesome (99%)

10:05am - stop recording (96%)

10:15am - try to record something even more awesome, oh no, its already dead flat, it wont even turn on!

10:16am - go home, plug in to charge (0%)

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @andrewt067.  Thank you for going through the recommended troubleshooting steps. If you haven't yet, please get in touch with our Support team so they can further assist you regarding the battery drain issue. You may call or chat with them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . 

Tourist

[ New ]

I think you have not understand the issue we are discussing at this topic. Read carefully before posting.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,
I DO NOT have this problem when the camera is new.
I have this problem after using for 3 months.
And unfortunately, I received an email from Abrielle Nicole, GoPro Support that this is normal.
How can this be normal?
GoPro sucks. They are plain lazy when item goes bad.

Hero.JPG
Explorer

[ New ]
If you are not going to use the camera for a couple days or more, remove the battery.
Adventurer

[ New ]

puff the majic camera   you do not want that to happen

Sightseer

[ New ]

So... after i got my gopro 7, last week, i got some battery drain while camera off. Found this topic, read it all, and tested a bit. 

Charged it fully, wi-fi off, gps off, voice commands off. Left it for 12-14h, after that the battery was at 96%. Switched it off, 2 days later battery went to 94%, switched it off again. 5 h later it was 91%. Is pretty clear that something is fishy.

Now, i asked  Ray from DC Rainmaker about it and here it is:

"

So you’ll get a bit of small initial battery drain, since it leaves Bluetooth on for 8 hours (and WiFi on for a portion of that). That’s so you can find your GoPro in case you lose it. 

So each time you turned it on to check it, it would use that small bit of battery for the next 8 hours. Hence why it didn’t change a ton the next time (3 days later) that you went from 96% to 91%, versus the 12 hours going from 100% to 96% was about the same.

Of course, most batteries do lose their charge over time. But I think a 4-5% hit for the first 8 hours and then nothing after that isn’t too shabby for the benefit of being able to find the camera in case you lose it." 

This kind of makes sense for my problem, but there is no info about this on the internet.

Hope it helps someone..

Adventurer

[ New ]

you know not one person yet mentions Find their camera On or off. that is why BLTE may stay on stand by.

If you got drain  i do not knowwhat to say but maybe  factory reset the camera  all over again delete the App all over again, if it still drains maybe RMA it all over again  

Tourist

[ New ]

Mine drains also, as I explained in the thread about how I ALSO have a camera that locks up:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hi-my-brand-new-hero-7-black-constantly-freezes-after-first/t...

If I start recording by pressing the button on the camera, then stop recording and turn the camera off the battery dies within a few hours.  It seems that this only happens when I record with the button, not the app.

Note above that my camera dies within hours, not a day or two.  The camera is off, and the battery is fully charged, but after I use the camera buttons to turn on/record/stop record/power off then the battery dies within a few hours.

I am returning it tonight, which is unfortunately because I really wanted to like this camera.

Tourist

[ New ]

I exchanged my Hero 7 Black yesterday and fully charged the new one last night.  This morning I turned it on with the power button, connected it to the app, then turned the camera off.

One hour later and the camera won't turn on.  I tried with both the camera button and the app, but the camera is dead.  I figured it was the battery so I connected it to the charger.  A few minutes later and I'm able to turn the camera on, so I do so and check the battery and it is at 93%!!  The camera was locked up with a charged battery.

I find this thread:

https://gopro.com/help/articles/solutions_troubleshooting/hero7-will-not-power-on

So now I have THREE problems:

* Camera heats up and locks - I wear on my motorcycle and bicycle helmets so obviously it's in the sun and will get hot!

*  Battery drains when powered off - apparently I have to swap batteries every couple of hours even when I'm not recording!

* Camera will sometimes not power on - apparently I also need to bring a charger along on my rides so I can wake the camera up in case it won't turn on!

GoPro, seriously, what the hell is going on?!  This thing is problem after problem after problem.  You should be ashamed.

Tourist

[ New ]

As typical, I've got the opposite of a problem now.

Now I'm back home in Aus and capapable of sending my gopro away for warranty, but now I can't replicate the issue anymore, now my gopro works perfectly :/  6 months of bull**bleep**, and now its perfect for seemingly no reason.

I bet that next time it fails It'll be outside of any warranty period.

Tourist

[ New ]

I am a recent purchaser of a Black Hero 7 and am trying to understand how to use it and how to deal with the battery issue(s). I bought the camera for underwater usage. My tests so far indicate to me that the camera does not always know that it has been turned off. I suspect the behavior is not random, and could be understood with enough testing. I am surprised that GoPro has not gotten to the bottom of this. My observations...

1. At times, the camera turns off holding the mode button for 3 seconds or so. Sonetimes it takes longer. Other times, it does not turn off at all and the mode button must be pressed a second time.

2. At times, the camera turns off using the mode button, then comes back on a bit later.

3. When using quickcapture, it's not clear at this point if the camera truly turns off every time.

4. If the camera is on while it's charging, it can get very hot.

5. My camera has a funky mode in which the battery has to be taken out and reinserted of the camera to function.

I'm hopeful the battery will last long enough to get to the snorkeling spot.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @fireydive01478

The observations that you shared are not expected camera behaviors, although, the camera heating up and locking up (or shutting down) could be due to using high performance modes as discussed in this article.

When using the camera, are you able to get the expected battery life for the resolution you have set up? It is important to determine battery integrity to make sure that your camera works smoothly. To do it, perform a run time test through the instructions here . Should you get a runtime that is significantly shorter than the expected, let our Support team know. This way, they can walk you through further troubleshooting. Their contact information is at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . 

Thanks, 
Marius

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @andrewt067

Great to know that your camera is working fine now. Do you recall performing particular troubleshooting steps that could have resolved the issue completely? Could it be using a different charger, charging cable, power source? Changing SD cards? Please let us know how the camera behaves as you continue to use it. enjoy using your GoPro!

Best, 

Marius

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @sharpcreek871

These are good observations, however, the camera should not be exhibiting such. Is the wake on voice enabled on the camera? Could the camera be communicating with a mobile device that it was paired with before, triggering the power function? What troubleshooting steps have been tried out? Re-flashing camera firmware will help with this (see Manual Update instructions here). 

The camera getting warm while being charged is not unusual. Make sure that you use the GoPro-provided cable for charging, and that the source outputs 5V, 1-2 A. A rating higher than this can cause overheating. Ensure as well camera uses a recommended SD card

Let us know what you find out, and if the camera reached the snorkeling spot. 

Best regards, 

Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanya wrote:

Hello @andrewt067

Great to know that your camera is working fine now. Do you recall performing particular troubleshooting steps that could have resolved the issue completely? Could it be using a different charger, charging cable, power source? Changing SD cards? Please let us know how the camera behaves as you continue to use it. enjoy using your GoPro!

Best, 

Marius

i reset it to defaults. disabled gps, wireless connections, voice control. locked screen upright with a short timeout. enabled smart capture.

also removed the battery to make sure it totally went off and completely discharged, and reinserted sd card in case the contacts were rusty or something.

ive been wondering if it might be related to usb connections. often its been plugged in so i can copy files, just left like that for overnight, and i just unplug and go out for a ski/surf. perhaps its stuck in file sharing emulation mode or something.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Marius,

The camera was on 2.7k/60, it recorded for 24 minutes and then shut off.  When I powered it back on it had 63% battery life left.  This appears to have been a matter of heat, although I never got a notice through the app that the camera was overheating.  It may have shown on the camera but I do not know.

I am going to have it record nonstop indoors to see if it records a full hour which is the max of the memory card.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks, @fireydive01478. Let us know how it goes.

Tourist

[ New ]
“gthe source outputs 5V, 1-2 A. A rating higher than this can cause overheating.
Tourist

[ New ]
Just bought the hero 7 black with the same battery drain issues, BUT I was able to resolve it. How? I did what anyone would do to a cell phone or computer... RESET.
So in addition to all the things that have been covered in detail already such as turning off voice control, gps, wifi, etc. I took out my memory card, and performed a "reset to factory" this will require re-tethering to the GoPro app on your phone. After the factory reset, I then formatted my SD card. I didn't do anything else special, but thankfully that was enough to solve my drain issues. Hope this helps!
Hiker

Betreff: Hero 7 battery drain

[ New ]
The reset does not solves anything. Sooner or later it will happend again. And it will happend when you really want to film something!

I will never buy a GoPro again!
Tourist

[ New ]
^ Hopefully that won't be true, but thanks for the heads up and what to expect. Spare batteries are a must!

So far since doing the factory reset and sd card reformat, I have left my battery in the GoPro and idle for an entire week. So no recording, just seeing how the battery will react. I turn it on every morning just to check the drain percentage. Happy to report that after 8 days, my battery just went from full charge 100% down to 90%. Losing a bit of juice each I turn it on and off. Not bad for a whole week considering before it would completely drain overnight or maybe even just a few hours!!

For me, this battery issue of course is a pain in the ass, but the form factor, useability, and quality video footage you get far outweigh what you have to deal with.