Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

I think you have not understand the issue we are discussing at this topic. Read carefully before posting.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi,
I DO NOT have this problem when the camera is new.
I have this problem after using for 3 months.
And unfortunately, I received an email from Abrielle Nicole, GoPro Support that this is normal.
How can this be normal?
GoPro sucks. They are plain lazy when item goes bad.

Hero.JPG
Highlighted
Explorer

If you are not going to use the camera for a couple days or more, remove the battery.
Highlighted
Adventurer

puff the majic camera   you do not want that to happen

Highlighted
Sightseer

So... after i got my gopro 7, last week, i got some battery drain while camera off. Found this topic, read it all, and tested a bit. 

Charged it fully, wi-fi off, gps off, voice commands off. Left it for 12-14h, after that the battery was at 96%. Switched it off, 2 days later battery went to 94%, switched it off again. 5 h later it was 91%. Is pretty clear that something is fishy.

Now, i asked  Ray from DC Rainmaker about it and here it is:

"

So you’ll get a bit of small initial battery drain, since it leaves Bluetooth on for 8 hours (and WiFi on for a portion of that). That’s so you can find your GoPro in case you lose it. 

So each time you turned it on to check it, it would use that small bit of battery for the next 8 hours. Hence why it didn’t change a ton the next time (3 days later) that you went from 96% to 91%, versus the 12 hours going from 100% to 96% was about the same.

Of course, most batteries do lose their charge over time. But I think a 4-5% hit for the first 8 hours and then nothing after that isn’t too shabby for the benefit of being able to find the camera in case you lose it." 

This kind of makes sense for my problem, but there is no info about this on the internet.

Hope it helps someone..

Highlighted
Adventurer

you know not one person yet mentions Find their camera On or off. that is why BLTE may stay on stand by.

If you got drain  i do not knowwhat to say but maybe  factory reset the camera  all over again delete the App all over again, if it still drains maybe RMA it all over again  

Highlighted
Tourist

Mine drains also, as I explained in the thread about how I ALSO have a camera that locks up:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hi-my-brand-new-hero-7-black-constantly-freezes-after-first/t...

If I start recording by pressing the button on the camera, then stop recording and turn the camera off the battery dies within a few hours.  It seems that this only happens when I record with the button, not the app.

Note above that my camera dies within hours, not a day or two.  The camera is off, and the battery is fully charged, but after I use the camera buttons to turn on/record/stop record/power off then the battery dies within a few hours.

I am returning it tonight, which is unfortunately because I really wanted to like this camera.

Highlighted
Tourist

I exchanged my Hero 7 Black yesterday and fully charged the new one last night.  This morning I turned it on with the power button, connected it to the app, then turned the camera off.

One hour later and the camera won't turn on.  I tried with both the camera button and the app, but the camera is dead.  I figured it was the battery so I connected it to the charger.  A few minutes later and I'm able to turn the camera on, so I do so and check the battery and it is at 93%!!  The camera was locked up with a charged battery.

I find this thread:

https://gopro.com/help/articles/solutions_troubleshooting/hero7-will-not-power-on

So now I have THREE problems:

* Camera heats up and locks - I wear on my motorcycle and bicycle helmets so obviously it's in the sun and will get hot!

*  Battery drains when powered off - apparently I have to swap batteries every couple of hours even when I'm not recording!

* Camera will sometimes not power on - apparently I also need to bring a charger along on my rides so I can wake the camera up in case it won't turn on!

GoPro, seriously, what the hell is going on?!  This thing is problem after problem after problem.  You should be ashamed.