Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

That was the case for me. I have 5 SanDisk Extreme v30 cards. I was able to identify one that caused me issues. I know that it can happen with any card manufacturer (had an issue with a Lexar 633X once), but I am officialy done with SanDisk. Bummer, because I was really excited that they had finally gotten their act together with the v30. I have had way to many SanDisk cards give me issues over the years. For now, I'm sticking with Samsung.
Highlighted
Tourist

They always recommend to format the memory card using the device itself.  If you have to format it using a PC, that's new to me. 

Highlighted
Adventurer

the camera is not a computer and a comuter canclear more then just a file that was why we format via a computer tehn the  camera and for years  we been doing that so nothing really new if asked.

Highlighted
Explorer

@superbluff0475 

A full format checks for bad sectors and will truly scrub through the hard drive from scratch, rebuild all of its file structures, and scans the drive to make sure that everything is on a satisfactory level.

A quick format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors.

Very often when issues present like freezing or battery drain, it is because of a bad sector.  These are particularly troublesome because the card will often appear to be working normally.  However, if the camera tries to write to the bad sector or encounters it during the scan (basically an invalid checksum), then the processor can get bottlenecked (freeze) or run into a loop (battery drain).

The majority of the time you should only be doing quick formats and formats in the camera (Always format in the camera to rebuild the proper tables after formatting in your computer).  However, periodically, or when you have encountered a camera error, you should perform a full format to check your SD for bad sectors.

Unfortunately, performing a full format does not always cure a bad SD card as the format may not account for the Protected Area used in the SD card's CPRM functions.

If you are having issues with one SD card, even after a full format followed by a format in the camera, it is advisable to try with another SD card to ensure that the card is not generating the issue.  GoPro provides a list of tested SD cards that are known to work.  This is not the end all be all list of cards that you can use, but it helps in ruling out the SD card in cases of camera errors.

A note about read speed and write speed.  While typically most manufacturers list the "Up To" read speed and many are now listing the "Up To" write speed, it's very rare to be able to know the video write speed which is not the same as write speed alone.  For example, a SanDisk Extreme v30 has a listed write speed of "Up To" 90 MB/s but if you read the fine print on their web page, they list the video write speed as sustained video capture rate of 30MB/s.  For video recording, a fast sustained capture rate is imperative.  If the write speed fluctuates or is not fast enough, it will cause errors, corrupt data, and freezing. 

Another thing they don't tell you is if the card architecture is SLC (Single Layer Cell), MLC (Multi-Layer Cell), or TLC (Triple-Layer Cell).  Many of the cheaper high capacity cards are TLC, which is a much less reliable, durable, card that is more sensitive to temperature changes.  Additionally, GoPro cameras use a UHS-I bus system.  While cards that are UHS-II are designed to be backward compatible, in general keeping to the same bus type is best. 

Other issues can also arise if there is damage to the SD card's connectors (the gold sheets on the outside).  If these are damaged, scratched or chipped, you can also run into issues.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

This is unacceptable.

No device should active drain a battery via add-on functions such as Wi-Fi when it is turned off. This is not an accepted answer from GoPro. To me this clearly shows the system is defected. Nice experiment to test how many people buy extra batteries, won't work with me. Returning my device today. Horrible service too, Camera is defected and GoPro does not even admit nor confirm they are working on a new firmware to solve the issue.

Highlighted
Explorer

Wi-Fi only drains battery when on. When connections are left on (Wi-Fi and Bluetooth) the camera continues to be available for remote activation by keeping Bluetooth active for up to 8 hours. If you recently connected the camera to a device, the Wi-Fi does stay on temporarily as the connection isn't completely terminated. This is beneficial as often people want to be able to turn the camera on, off, and on again remotely. It's also good for Quik Stories.

On my HERO7 Black cameras I generally have connections turned On, GPS On, Voice activation On but wake to voice OFF, and depending on my needs, Quick Capture On or OFF. I did have one SanDisk Extreme v30 card that was giving me issues, but when not using that specific card, I've had no issues with my cameras.

However, I may not store and handle my cameras the same as everyone else. First, I always format my SD card in the camera before a days shoot and again after transferring my media to my computer. I transfer my media using a USB 3.0 adapter and never by plugging the camera into the USB port. I usually charge my batteries with the dual charger, although I do on occasion just plug the camera into the GoPro Quick Charger. As per the warranty and safety instructions, I store the batteries outside the camera whenever possible. I use recommended SD cards, 64 and 32 GB (I've noticed 128 and 256 GB cards seem to give most people issues), and I do a full (not quick) format of the cards after about 30 times of use.
Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

WIreless Connection:  

Wi-fi On  BLTE (Bluetooth) acts as a sniffer, after 10 minutes time the wireless connection of Wi-Fi will shut down, be in the Off position. Camera will be off and no drain (People are complaining there is a drain)

Voice Command:

Wake On   the BLTE is not enabled and will not turn off  the wake on feature, the camera is in Hybernation, or Standby.  the feature  will  run on Standby up to 8 hours  with no use,

I am sure  the Wake on was clearly noted on Pg 51 and it sure is  

Controlling Your GoPro With Your Voice
TURNING ON YOUR GOPRO WITH YOUR VOICE
With this setting, your GoPro will turn on and respond to voice commands
when it’s off.
1. Swipe down to access the Dashboard.
2. Tap to turn on Voice Control.
3. Tap Preferences > Voice Control > Wake on Voice.
4. Power off your camera by saying “GoPro turn off” or pressing
the Mode button .
5. Turn on your camera by saying “GoPro turn on” or “GoPro
start recording.”
Heads Up: Your camera will listen for commands for 8 hours after
you’ve turned it off.
SEE A COMPLETE LIST OF COMMANDS ON YOUR CAMERA
2. Tap Preferences > Voice Control > Commands.
CHANGING YOUR VOICE CONTROL LANGUAGE
2. Tap Preferences > Voice Control > Language.
Heads Up: Voice Control may be affected by wind, noise, and your
distance from the camera. Keep your camera clean and wipe away
any debris for the best performance

Highlighted
Hiker

I just returned my gopro 7 hero black and after using it three times, the store checked out every mm of my camera, they were looking at it, two people, for about 8 minutes total and still called the store supervisor, I started sweating that I am left with that defunct product and they won't take it in. As soon as I showed them how I purchased equipment worth 5000 Euros on a yearly basis there and NEVER returned anything, they still accepted it. What a relief.

A lot of strange replies in this topic. First of all not-helpful GoPro Replies that keep making you do extra work. Also, having quick capture mode permanently OFF to save battery power when OFF, is ridiculous. So when I ride a bike I have to stop, take off gloves, turn it on, swipe around a tiny screen (each time adding risk for it to fall down), activate it, and then use it. Are you kidding me? Or when I fly Aerobatic planes, I have to trim the plane and fly without looking outside to fiddle around with the camera, yeah, great safety right there.... sigh.

Wifi and Bluetooth draining batteries when device is OFF, a joke also.

I will give GoPro one more chance with the GoPro 8 (whenever that comes out), and on a side note, horrible customer service, absolutely abysmal, horrible.

I want to thank all the GoPro users here that have done experiments and fiddled around, doing GoPro's job basically, you were much more helpful and competent than any GoPro employee or representative, it is because of YOU that I will give GoPro 8 a chance once it comes out, surely not because of GoPro.