Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

Hi @karnash04

Please check if the workaround posted by @samanthatroulis on this thread will work on your end.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Bought-my-first-GoPro-Hero-7-black-battery-life/m-p/254311#/M...

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Same issue here. Battery indicator is not right and is very different when I use it. Please provide Us a solution. Tnx
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @ross70,

We'll keep you posted. 

This has been raised already 

Thanks,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, at this moment om in Vietnam and using my Hero 7 black.
Still a tot the same issues with the battery drain.
Read al of the internet to learn whats wrong with my Hero.
I tried all the advices from the forum users here with no suc6.
Butt today i found out that the problem is 2 of my 3 batterys.
I got one with comes with the Hero and ordered 2 more with a chargeer. For me i have 2 faulty batterys and i Will return then soon as i get home. The batterys are used 4 times and 2 Months Old. Hope you guys Will check your batterys.
Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Hello.

I posted this message firstly here.

I bought my GoPro Hero 7 Black about two weeks ago from a local shop in Italy (I also own a Hero 3+ Black).
I think I left it (by mistake) for about 24 hours with the QuickCapture on and ended up with an empty battery. That's how I got to this topic.

In the case in anyone is interested, here are some specs:

The first problem that I had was while doing the update to version 1.51. It got stuck during the update and had to restart the camera. After that, it seemed to have installed the update — it showed the update steps 1/2, 2/2 on the front screen.

Now, about the battery. Firstly, my GoPro can charge the battery to 100% in about 2 hours either plugging it to a PC USB port, using a Huawei phone charger (5V-2A output) or using an Anker PowerCore. I have only used the USB-C cable provided in the GoPro box.

Then, as I mentioned before, I noticed a battery drain over a 24 hours period when I left it with the QuickCapture on by mistake. All the other things were off (all connections off, VoiceCommand off, GPS off). After that, I read about 35 pages of this topic and decided to do some full charges/discharges cycles to format the battery. I have also formatted the SD card using the GoPro menu.

Here are some things I noticed during the charges/discharges I did to format the battery.

• After draining the battery by doing a continuous 4K recording, I immediately plugged in the GoPro (hot at is was from recording) to my Anker PowerCore for charging (using the USB-C GoPro cable). GPS, WiFi, VoiceControl, QuickCapture were all on (to help drain the battery faster). It started charging but the red LEDs were turning on and off randomly. After 2 minutes it stopped charging -> I know this because the LEDs on the Anker PowerCore turned off as well (and those remain on during charging any device). I removed the USB cable from the GoPro, removed the SD card and then plugged the USB cable back into the GoPro. From this moment on, the charging went normally. After charging, when I put the SD card back in, the back LCD flashed one time.
  • After another battery drain by filming continuos 4K but this time with GPS, WiFi, VoiceControl, QuickCapture all off, I plugged the GoPro back to the Anker PowerCore for charging, after letting it cool down a bit. The SD card was in. When I plugged in the cable into the GoPro, the back LCD flashed one time, it started charging (the Anker LEDs were on) but the GoPro red LEDs were off. After 2 mins I removed the cable from the GoPro and plugged it back in. No screen flash and from this moment on, the charing went normally.
  • Another battery drain with 4K recording, another charge. This time, before the charge I removed the SD card. The charging went normal, no screen flash, the red LEDs were on from the beginning until the end of the charging.

After these cycles, I wanted to know how much the battery would lose after 24 hours.

• I left the battery at 100% in the GoPro with the SD into the camera, SD had recordings on it. After 24 hours and two very short power on/offs, it read 98%.
  • Then I recharged the battery in the GoPro until the red LEDs were off. Turned the GoPro on, it read 99%. Took the battery out of the GoPro, left if for 24 hours, put it back into the GoPro, power on, 99% again.

Then I bought 3 x SmarTree batteries 3.85V 1220mAh 4.7Wh + SmarTree charger from Amazon. All made in China. I charged all the SmarTree batteries in their own charger. They all read 100% in the GoPro.
I left one in the GoPro with the SD card inside the camera (the SD had recordings on it). After 48 hours straight and 3 very short power on/offs to read the level of the battery, it still read 100%.

I do not think I can draw a conclusion but I just laid out here the data from my tests in case it helps anyone. I probably missed some test situations but I'm not working at GoPro so yeah.

I didn't do the manual update of the GoPro, I think I'll try directly manual for the next firmware update to avoid any issues from the start.

I will send this test results to GoPro as well (https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs and https://gopro.com/feedback) and I hope it will help them to identify and fix some bugs.

I do hope they will provide a steady firmware version in December that solves all these little glitches and bugs because I really like the video quality of the camera. If not, in the future I will consider turning to other action cams manufacturers because I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed.

Highlighted
Tourist

do you guys still have those draining problems?
to me it happens sometimes... everything turned off... voice wifi etc. but the battery is still draining.... not everytime. sometimes it works fine for one or two weeks. but then its draining from 100 to below 40 below 10 within 5 or 24 hours..???
Highlighted
Tourist

I have sent my Hero back to the retailer with te same problems. I hope to let you know soon of the issue had been solved.
Highlighted
Tourist

I'm getting this exact problem, and I can reproduce it at will:

- Charge the GoPro to 100%.

- While being powered off, start recording by pressing the record button (on the top).

- Allow it to record a few seconds, and then press the record button again (this should in theory stop the recording and power off).

- After 2 hours or so, the battery is at 0%.

I wireless and voice control are off.  I'm using the latest firmware available as of right now.