Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

[ Edited ]

I just buy GoPro 7 black few days ago. Battery full, fw 1.9, all connection off, and other setting. Battery is dead after 1-2 days with camera OFF. THis issu is still. This is first and at the same point last GP camera which I bought. Probably I will return this camera to the shop. It is not a cheap "toy" with so big issue.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @nikuta,

Please try to install new camera firmware manually then make sure to turn off Wi-Fi and voice command when not in use or before turning off the camera. 

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras

-Jay

Highlighted
Hiker

OKi I did all what you told me, Instal software from SD, disconnect communications, Turn OFF voice control. I've tested camera for a while and what I see, is that that not only voice control drain battery. The second problem is Fast Capture. It's drain a battery too when camera is OFF. What the hell. You have to turn OFF almost all options in camera to stop camera from brain battery when it's OFF.

This is the first and last GoPro Camera (or other product) which I bought. It's not a cheap camera. You products are long on the market and should be polished, software without problems, bugs (this big ones). But what we get is camera overheats, drain battery even when it's OFF, fast drain battery even without recording. (recording is unacceptable).

Sorry but I will say this, your product is weak, problematic, with huge bugs. I really regret that I buy this camera.

Highlighted
Hiker

Yes the hero 7 camera is junk, i returned 3 for a refund, support is appauling. I replaced with three DJI osmo action camera they are perfect and i have never had a problem with them

Highlighted
Hiker

I really wish to refund this camera, but I have it for 2 mounts and buy some accessories for them too :(

Highlighted
Tourist

Mine has now been replaced 2 times, so it's the third Hero7 Black and I still have the battery problem. 

But I noticed something.
Without SD-card inside the camera, the battery doesn't drain at all when the camera is off. I did the test for a week, switching on and off at least once a day. And after a week it was still over 90%.

Then I inserted the SD-Card and I noticed 2 things.
When I switched off the camera if the rear red LED and beep came almost immedlatly after presing the power button, then the battery alsmost doesn't drain. The day after when I switched it off, it was still over 90%.
But if the rear red LED and the beep come several seconds (can be more than 10 sec sometimes) after pressing the power button to swicth the camera off, then I'm sure that if I switch it on 1 hour or even 15 minutes later, the battery wil be dead. At the same time, the camera will stay very hot when it's switched off.

I tried different brands and models of SD-cards and it's all the time the same. I even tried to format the card inside the camera but it doesn't change anything.

But it's funny that the technical support doesn't want to admit it and listen to it. They just ask to manually update the camera, do some recording tests and in the best case they will exchange it.

I haven't used mine for a month now and as soon as I can, I will try to sell it and buy the Osmo Action.

Highlighted
Adventurer

The DJI Osmo Action. is a great camera on its own.  Only issues I came about the camera was.   Battery exhaustion on  any given turn on, camera shuts down.   turned back on  all normal, a random issue  with FW 1.05.00 , after that fw the issue subsided.   the issue would pop on a few times or  a few days later, never know when,

the latest fw 1.08.00.10 livestream was just offered, and htey got facebook correct, youtube, you need to  manually set the manage page up, its always log in, resign in   and hotspot   is hit-n-miss, it is what it is.

the Latacy is nearly gone on 60f.

and Many complained by saying Rocksteady Sucks, it's crap, let us revert firmware I hate it, and when you ask these people for Proof, they CLAMMED UP! no need for proof. 

gopro is the better if asked maybe not the Hero 7 of some.

For the Battery drain wit hteh card insertion, pay attention to the led blinks, is it one, or two?  does it means something "GoPro"???? did they answer , while they monitored,  We'll let our team Know, and that will be as far as it goes.  Go to DJI get the same  reply, etc,, Just make sure you enjoy the camera either way.

Highlighted
Nomad

The Hero 7 was and is the most unstable hero camera out there.

The problem is the SD card. 

You need the to use the prefered ones for sure with this one.

Also you need to format the SD card from time to time first with your PC and after inserting it again in the camera reformat it again.

This mostly prevents the battery drain. The moment the draining start again, just reformat again like described above.

Gopro device are descent camera's however, gopro's pain in the ass is there software and this includes there firmware updates.

I don't think you are better of with the DJI osmo action.

And the gopro support is one of the best imo.

I now have the hero 6 which has no issue at all, the 7 which I need to format from time to time, the 8 with no issues and the max also with no issues.

All using the sandisk extreme V30 cards.

Greets