Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

@savindrasi1 wrote:
I just got my first GoPro Hero 7 yesterday night charged to 100% and in the morning it was 0%. I was about to call the seller saying the camera battery is faulty and I want to return it. When I saw this post I realised that I am not the only victim ☺️

I believe I have the solution (for me at least), but i haven't yet narrowed down the cause.

Every time it has been on charge, or plugged it into any USB source, I assume it is about to bug out. So I remove the battery completely for a couple of minutes to completely kill it and put it back in.

So far my tests are quite unscientificic using anecdotal evidence, I haven't used the gopro much in the last couple of months to difinitively prove it, but I believe it has solved the problem.

as others have previously mentioned, as a precaution I also have wifi and bluetooth and screen rotation disabled too.

Highlighted
Tourist

The August 2019 firmware update solved my battery issues. It only took 7 months from the time I bought the camera. My guess is they ignored the 7 until the 8 was ready. The worse thing is they have never admitted to this problem. Even in the release notes for the firmware.

So for the GoPro employees that post their nonsense blame-the-sd-card crap — shame on you. You are liars.
Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]
I think it‘s just a coincidence that it solved your problems. 1.80 made the problems with my Hero 7 even worse. In fact it froze after every single use compared to once a week with the former versions.
Highlighted
Nomad

The battery drain is still not solved.

Both my hero 7 cameras have it. Both on V1.8.

Just got a new one under warranty because one was not charging anymore.

It looks new but has the name sophies gopro and just drained it's batterys 2 times in one day.

Just did updates again on both camera's to see what happens.

My hero 6 does not have this issue ( it's my best gopro )

It is really disappointing that this issue is still there.

Highlighted
Tourist

@foggybeach8632, Very disappointing for me too.
My Hero7 Black has been replaced too but it didn't solve the battery problem when it's switched off. I tried everything possible but I think it's a hardware problem.
I never had a trouble with my old Hero2, 3+ and 4. I regret that I sold my Hero4 to buy the 7 Smiley Sad

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @vindav09

Please reach out to our Support Team to follow up with your concern.

You may contact them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi @aragon1006 , 

I already did it several times.
I purchased the Hero7 in January 2019. In February I contact GoPro support Team and after several tests, they decided to replace the camera.

The new camera had the same problems. I contact the Support Team again. They asked me to do the same tests than the first time, that I already did, of course, to manually update it, to disable everything but it was still the same. The guy told me it may be the battery or the SD card. They sent me a new battery and I bought 2 new SD Cards (Lexar and Samsung, I had SanDisk Extreme). The problem was still the same.
Last summer I send again a message to the Support Team. I never got an answer. Last September I sent another message, I received the automatic answer that I will be contacted soon but nobody never called me or replied to my email.

So I start to be hopeless about GoPro.

Highlighted
Tourist

Get rid of the GP7, those drained battery issues will never go away.  I got the GP8 for 3 months already and I have not seen any unexpected dead battery.