Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

Having exactly the same issue. Go Pro is on newest Update 1.8 and SD Card is on supported list.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @andrewt067 @strikerfpv

Try to take the battery out and see if the camera will still power off.

Check if you will be able to complete the files transfers without the camera turning off/disconnecting.

Let us know how it goes.
You may also reach out to our Support Team for assistance through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs 

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

I have experienced the battery drain issue twice so far. One thing that I have noticed is that in my case, it was after using the camera to reformat the SD card. I also noticed that it took longer for the camera to turn off when the card had just been formatted. Today I tried formatting, but took one photo before turning off the camera and did not get the same delay. I think that the camera may be having difficulty with interacting with the SD card until something has been saved. I need more time to verify that taking one photo or video fixes the problem, but so far, no excessive battery drain.

Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for sharing, @megasand57555. This is an interesting finding. Which SD card were you using? Thank you for sharing. Please keep us posted. 

Highlighted
Tourist

The SD Card is a Sandisk. It's one of the newer, faster cards that is compatible with the GoPro. Yesterday I tried erasing the photos without formatting the card. I don't think the issue occurs if you just erase the photos. There must be a file on the card the camera is looking for and can not find until at least one photo has been saved. The tests I would do to try to reproduce this issue would be to go to settings > reset > format card and then turn the camera off to see if the battery drains. If this does cause the battery to drain, I would try deleting content by going to the view captures page, selecting the content grid view and selecting delete all. I would also try formatting the card in a non GoPro device to see what happens in that case.

Highlighted
Tourist

I troubleshot the battery problem for 8 weeks.
I bought a new battery; problem still exists.
Finally I used an irrational solution.
I sold the GoPro. Bought a DJI Osmo Action.
Problem solved.
I can finally shoot my action videos in peace.

Disclaimer: I am not paid to do this. I am just a regular user of an action cam.

Action.jpg
Highlighted
Tourist

Problem solved.
Disclaimer: I am not paid to do this. I am just a regular user of an action cam.

Action.jpg
Highlighted
Tourist

Problem solved.