Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

“gthe source outputs 5V, 1-2 A. A rating higher than this can cause overheating.
Highlighted
Tourist

Just bought the hero 7 black with the same battery drain issues, BUT I was able to resolve it. How? I did what anyone would do to a cell phone or computer... RESET.
So in addition to all the things that have been covered in detail already such as turning off voice control, gps, wifi, etc. I took out my memory card, and performed a "reset to factory" this will require re-tethering to the GoPro app on your phone. After the factory reset, I then formatted my SD card. I didn't do anything else special, but thankfully that was enough to solve my drain issues. Hope this helps!
Highlighted
Hiker

Betreff: Hero 7 battery drain

The reset does not solves anything. Sooner or later it will happend again. And it will happend when you really want to film something!

I will never buy a GoPro again!
Highlighted
Tourist

^ Hopefully that won't be true, but thanks for the heads up and what to expect. Spare batteries are a must!

So far since doing the factory reset and sd card reformat, I have left my battery in the GoPro and idle for an entire week. So no recording, just seeing how the battery will react. I turn it on every morning just to check the drain percentage. Happy to report that after 8 days, my battery just went from full charge 100% down to 90%. Losing a bit of juice each I turn it on and off. Not bad for a whole week considering before it would completely drain overnight or maybe even just a few hours!!

For me, this battery issue of course is a pain in the ass, but the form factor, useability, and quality video footage you get far outweigh what you have to deal with.
Highlighted
Hiker

Betreff: Hero 7 battery drain

I did your Experiment for a month or so and I was very pleased with my (replacement) camera. Everything was well until one day, during the holiday, after normal use, it did not wanted to turn on. Oh that feeling when you have some amazing scene you want to film and the camera refuses to turn on! And it was warm! Cool!

It happend twice that day. And then it stopped until a week later. And then again no drain!

All this tell me that this is for sure a bug, most probabilly sw.
Sad!

Highlighted
Tourist

Don't fool yourself, this is a random issue, there is no fix, it's being going on since GP 7 was released.  The fact that it is random (not always it can be reproduced at will) makes this problem huge.  My advise to you is to always carry spare full charged batteries, cause you'll never know if the camera will turn back on again.  But there is a workaround, plain an simple: sell your GP 7 and buy the DJI Osmo Action.  If you do advanced video editing, then the GP 7 is a little better (their video output files offers more flexibity for editing).  Otherwise the DJI is perfecly fine to do basic editing, and on top of that you have a front facing display (which I came to find very helpful).

Highlighted
Hiker

Like a significant number of other owners of Hero 7 Black, I too experience very poor battery life - and regular unexpected total battery discharge, to zero, overnight.

I have discovered a potential workaround for the unexpected total discharge issue - by ENABLING "Landscape Lock" (Settings > Preferences > Touch Display > Landscape Lock > Up).  This setting disables the automatic screen orientation/portrait feature - which appears to affect the camera's ability to shut-down properly when powering off.

Daily battery depletion, if unused, remains at about 2-3% per day (assuming that GPS and WiFi etc are all disabled) - which appears to be characterisic of the H7B (noting that, by contrast, the Hero 5 Black can be left for months on a single battery charge!).

It would be interesting to learn if others can replicate the apparent workarounf for at least this part of the battery discharge issues that we are experiencing.

Clearly, either the hardware or firmware on the Hero 7 Black is fundamentally broken.  Some other Settings have inconsistent behaviour in the most recent firmware releases (not that we've seen any for six months!) - such as Beeps.  If Beeps are configured to Quiet in the Preferences menus, but then temporarily disabled from the buttons in the first settings screen, re-enabling from the button defaults the beeper back to Loud - which is inconstent with the expected behaviour and that of the other buttons.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @cooldawn71186

Thanks for the feedback, We'll have this shred to the team.

Other users also suggest that after charging your camera fully, remove then reinsert the battery.

Regards,

Ej