Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

As typical, I've got the opposite of a problem now.

Now I'm back home in Aus and capapable of sending my gopro away for warranty, but now I can't replicate the issue anymore, now my gopro works perfectly :/  6 months of bull**bleep**, and now its perfect for seemingly no reason.

I bet that next time it fails It'll be outside of any warranty period.

Highlighted
Tourist

I am a recent purchaser of a Black Hero 7 and am trying to understand how to use it and how to deal with the battery issue(s). I bought the camera for underwater usage. My tests so far indicate to me that the camera does not always know that it has been turned off. I suspect the behavior is not random, and could be understood with enough testing. I am surprised that GoPro has not gotten to the bottom of this. My observations...

1. At times, the camera turns off holding the mode button for 3 seconds or so. Sonetimes it takes longer. Other times, it does not turn off at all and the mode button must be pressed a second time.

2. At times, the camera turns off using the mode button, then comes back on a bit later.

3. When using quickcapture, it's not clear at this point if the camera truly turns off every time.

4. If the camera is on while it's charging, it can get very hot.

5. My camera has a funky mode in which the battery has to be taken out and reinserted of the camera to function.

I'm hopeful the battery will last long enough to get to the snorkeling spot.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @fireydive01478

The observations that you shared are not expected camera behaviors, although, the camera heating up and locking up (or shutting down) could be due to using high performance modes as discussed in this article.

When using the camera, are you able to get the expected battery life for the resolution you have set up? It is important to determine battery integrity to make sure that your camera works smoothly. To do it, perform a run time test through the instructions here . Should you get a runtime that is significantly shorter than the expected, let our Support team know. This way, they can walk you through further troubleshooting. Their contact information is at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @andrewt067

Great to know that your camera is working fine now. Do you recall performing particular troubleshooting steps that could have resolved the issue completely? Could it be using a different charger, charging cable, power source? Changing SD cards? Please let us know how the camera behaves as you continue to use it. enjoy using your GoPro!

Best, 

Marius

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @sharpcreek871

These are good observations, however, the camera should not be exhibiting such. Is the wake on voice enabled on the camera? Could the camera be communicating with a mobile device that it was paired with before, triggering the power function? What troubleshooting steps have been tried out? Re-flashing camera firmware will help with this (see Manual Update instructions here). 

The camera getting warm while being charged is not unusual. Make sure that you use the GoPro-provided cable for charging, and that the source outputs 5V, 1-2 A. A rating higher than this can cause overheating. Ensure as well camera uses a recommended SD card

Let us know what you find out, and if the camera reached the snorkeling spot. 

Best regards, 

Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

@mariustanya wrote:

Hello @andrewt067

Great to know that your camera is working fine now. Do you recall performing particular troubleshooting steps that could have resolved the issue completely? Could it be using a different charger, charging cable, power source? Changing SD cards? Please let us know how the camera behaves as you continue to use it. enjoy using your GoPro!

Best, 

Marius

i reset it to defaults. disabled gps, wireless connections, voice control. locked screen upright with a short timeout. enabled smart capture.

also removed the battery to make sure it totally went off and completely discharged, and reinserted sd card in case the contacts were rusty or something.

ive been wondering if it might be related to usb connections. often its been plugged in so i can copy files, just left like that for overnight, and i just unplug and go out for a ski/surf. perhaps its stuck in file sharing emulation mode or something.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Marius,

The camera was on 2.7k/60, it recorded for 24 minutes and then shut off.  When I powered it back on it had 63% battery life left.  This appears to have been a matter of heat, although I never got a notice through the app that the camera was overheating.  It may have shown on the camera but I do not know.

I am going to have it record nonstop indoors to see if it records a full hour which is the max of the memory card.

Highlighted
GoPro

Thanks, @fireydive01478. Let us know how it goes.