Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

Just about to sand that GoPro garbage back and get a new Osmo for a refund from reseller 😃
Hiker

I’ve done just that
Tourist

I got my 3th replacement for my Hero 7 White, still the same problem about battery drain when camera is off and everything turned off. Switching or removing sd-card doesn't solve the problem. Last night I made last test and battery went from 100% to 70% in just 6 hours when everything were off! I will probably return also this camera to get the new Osmo. It's a shame that GoPro is not able to fix the problem since I'm sure that it's a software issue and not an hardware issue.

Highlighted
Hiker

I’ve had 3 h7 blacks and returned all for refund.
Just got the Osmo Action, seems very good so far. Bye bye gopro 😀
Hiker

I have and the dji is great!
Tourist

This may be a workaround until the problem gets fixed through a firmware upgrade...

- turn GoPro off
- remove battery
- push power on button for about 30 seconds while battery removed (this should clear any capacitors)
- reinsert battery

Don't turn on again until you are ready to use the GoPro.

My battery has stayed at a given level for the last 12 hours. I have started it up, checked battery level, and then followed the above power down steps for 5-6 reps.

I'm guessing from all the previous messages and my own experience that the shutdown sequence is not turning everything off the way it should leading to battery drain. Removing the battery and clearing the capacitor(s) ensure that things are powered down the way they should. The red light blip on battery insertion does not start up the battery drain.

Hope this works for you.
Hiker

They ain’t gonna fix it, it’s been going on since launch.
Do what I did, send it back for a refund and buy an osmo action. Brilliant camera!
Tourist

Sadly I'm one of many who waited too long to return the camera for a refund, thinking that for sure GoPro would address this problem in a software update. 

It's a little funny that their support people keep trying to blame the SD cards.  This is just a red herring.  If a memory card can successfully record it's entire capacity at 4k res, it surely has no problem with whatever the camera needs to do at shutdown time. 

This has been my solution so far:

1.  Turn off all wi-fi connections

2.  Definitely turn off the wake on voice feature

3.  If you start the camera from "off" with quick capture by pressing the record button, it won't really turn all the way off when you press the record button again.  Turn it back on with the power button, and then turn it off.  The remaining trick is to wait 10 seconds between those steps.  eg:  wait 10 seconds after shutting down with the record button before turning the camera back on with the power switch, then wait another 10 seconds before shutting it back off with the power switch

Thas has worked reliably for me for several days.  

I hope this thing falls off my helmet at 80mph so I can justify getting the new DJI cam.