Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

I am having the same issue. Fully charged, put it all back in the protective case and get it ready, went to turn it on next morning and nada. Battery was dead. It was only in the bag turned off mind you, for overnight so I'm not sure how long it actually took, but honestly, a battery should last a lot longer than that. And when off it should be completely off. I don't see the need for any of the auto turn on/off by voice or otherwise features and I'd probably only use those when really needed, so that's all off too. The only thing I did not turn off were all LED's I as well have the beep sound to lowest, but that shouldn't be the issue nor the LED's since none were on when the camera was off. If it's wifi, wtf is it doing connecting to wifi when it's off? Certainly you could update it when it's turned on the next time yes? 

Also my date and time were fine. So I'm not sure what that other guy was talking about losing that data when he took the battery out, but I did not have that problem. I'm just a bit concerned about this draining so fast. It charges really fast, but still. And then in the protective case it comes in, why oh why would you not make it so you can open the side charging panel? Why do I need to remove it to have access? 

Tourist

Hi Wifi and bluetooth are services these can be used with remotes and phones to enable remote turning on of the camera thats why it use power when cams off  it appears you are not getting a clean shutdown   if it takes longer tan a second or 2 its not a clean shutdown screen should instantly shut down no files on your sd card ? when this happened listen for all beeps then let button go screen should instantly go black firmware 1.7 ? all wifi bluetooth Quick capture f voice control eatures off mine are only use them if needed

date and time wont  hold the data with no power as far as I'm aware cant see a seperate battery for that My 6th day now lost another 7% from yesterday down to 80%

what protective case ? the port cover can be opened with the cage supplied with the hero 7 black but must be removed to get barrery sd card out

cheers,Brent

Tourist

MY SOLUTION: EXCHANGE IT

I had the same problem.

I just bought a new Hero 7 Black, it discharged to zero overnight when shut down.

Tried all the suggestion of disabling options but it still drained overnight.

Had it for only 3 days, went back to the store, exchanged it for another Hero 7 Black.

The new Hero 7 Black is working fine. I shut it down, overnight it still has the same charge level.

Tourist

All auto features are off, has the latest firmware, that is the first thing that it updated when I turned it on and connected it to the wifi. 

There is no media on it. It does have an SSD in it, but nothing on it yet. I'm not using the remote, so here again this camera should shut all that off when turned off. 

I've tried several different methods in turning the camera off, but the only way that works is to hold it and it beeps like 5 times, then release and it's off.  If I just press the off button once it doesn't do anything, if I hold it longer than the beep period it doesn't shut off right away it sits there and then turns off like 10 seconds later for some strange reason. It's actually really hard to know when you've properly shut it down. And lets not get too off here, it should not be hard to turn on and off lol. Not that is really is, but it seems a bit overcomplicated for such a simple task. 

Quit messing around with this auto bs, you know, just have any and all options that use power turn off when it's off, why is this so hard to do? It's obvious too at this point the camera isn't going to work with these auto features anyway as it uses way too much battery, specially if you're like, Gopro off! and it doesn't turn it of and then waits for you to say gopro on! by the time you say it the battery is dead, so how is this supposed to be a good idea? 

Anyway... The case it comes in, the piece it's hooked to when you buy it. In order for me to charge with that on the camera, I need to remove the power bay cover. It does not open with that over it. Bad design. So I have to remove the cover to hook a back up battery to it since the current battery is not going to cut it and cant' dot hat without taking off the cover, so have to remove the cam from the case, take off the cover, hope I don't break it, then put it back in it's case and all that, seems like a pain when I can just open the side cover and plug it in which would be much easier.

Tourist

@brentb57153 wrote:

Hi Wifi and bluetooth are services these can be used with remotes and phones to enable remote turning on of the camera thats why it use power when cams off  it appears you are not getting a clean shutdown   if it takes longer tan a second or 2 its not a clean shutdown screen should instantly shut down no files on your sd card ? when this happened listen for all beeps then let button go screen should instantly go black firmware 1.7 ? all wifi bluetooth Quick capture f voice control eatures off mine are only use them if needed

date and time wont  hold the data with no power as far as I'm aware cant see a seperate battery for that My 6th day now lost another 7% from yesterday down to 80%

what protective case ? the port cover can be opened with the cage supplied with the hero 7 black but must be removed to get barrery sd card out

cheers,Brent

All auto features are off, has the latest firmware, that is the first thing that it updated when I turned it on and connected it to the wifi. 

There is no media on it. It does have an SSD in it, but nothing on it yet. I'm not using the remote, so here again this camera should shut all that off when turned off. 

I've tried several different methods in turning the camera off, but the only way that works is to hold it and it beeps like 5 times, then release and it's off.  If I just press the off button once it doesn't do anything, if I hold it longer than the beep period it doesn't shut off right away it sits there and then turns off like 10 seconds later for some strange reason. It's actually really hard to know when you've properly shut it down. And lets not get too off here, it should not be hard to turn on and off lol. Not that is really is, but it seems a bit overcomplicated for such a simple task. 

Quit messing around with this auto bs, you know, just have any and all options that use power turn off when it's off, why is this so hard to do? It's obvious too at this point the camera isn't going to work with these auto features anyway as it uses way too much battery, specially if you're like, Gopro off! and it doesn't turn it of and then waits for you to say gopro on! by the time you say it the battery is dead, so how is this supposed to be a good idea? 

Anyway... The case it comes in, the piece it's hooked to when you buy it. In order for me to charge with that on the camera, I need to remove the power bay cover. It does not open with that over it. Bad design. So I have to remove the cover to hook a back up battery to it since the current battery is not going to cut it and cant' dot hat without taking off the cover, so have to remove the cam from the case, take off the cover, hope I don't break it, then put it back in it's case and all that, seems like a pain when I can just open the side cover and plug it in which would be much easier.

Tourist

FYI, I charged it fully last night, this is with everything turned off that has been mentioned to cause battery drain, it still drained 10%, sitting at 90% when turned "off" it was at 100%. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Hey guys, it’s been abs remarkable that you will fight the gopro bug to the end. I Hope you realise that no help is coming to you from anybody and gopro as the party who is completly deff of this problem. I wish you all good Luck with this camera en the lack of support from our dear gopro. Thx gopro for spending a ton of money on a useless product with no costumer care at all. Your going slowly down the drain and i ordening right now the best camera there is with real support Yess its the Sony Cybershot DSC-RX0 II. Goodbye gopro and hello Sony. Last post and i delete my account here.
Good luck to you all folks
Tourist

Hi ,so what is the firmware version in your replacement and whats on and what is not ,same sd card that was in the other one

same turn off method wait till all beeps then release ?

report back in a week to see if still good

Cheers,Brent