Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

Hi,I guess the SD card thing is no absoulute standard is adhered to like usb and usb sticks  some work in some devices others dont like usb cables some work some don't t usb 2,3 are supposed to be backward compatible some devices are some arn't some usb hubs and  pcie cards are some arn't  he market is not controlled properly if all these things had to be certified we would not get this issue or it would be rare note case being you won't get your gopro to connect via usb 3 none of my ports do and there are intel etron nec nor will a usb 3 cable work even if hooked to a usb 2 port so there you go 4 different usb 3 sticks  to find one compatible with my sony head unit most usb 2 worked fine but I wanted to be able to transfer music to them fast not like watching paint dry like the gopro using outdated usb 2 with 4k files silly but I think this is due to no controller chip available that supports usb 3  well I couldent find one they would have had to design one or get it fabricated or have it in the main processor

Cheers,Brent

Hiker

The last few firmware update notes didn't even mention the issue so I don't think it's something that can be fixed on the software side. Maybe it's something with the power button.

Explorer

More likely it has to do with the Pericom PI3USB9281 chip that handles power management. GoPro may write the underlying camera and handling of the image data software, the actual chip hardware and instruction sets are created by other companies (in this case, Diodes Incorporated).
Tourist

Hi,heres a link but note the always on bit

https://gethypoxic.com/blogs/technical/gopro-hero7-teardown

I did actually come across another one but can't find it I'm sure a different usb controller chip was present  in that youtube post

cheers,Brent

Hiker

[ Edited ]

Tourist

Well clearly not gonna do anything.
It works great as long as you take the battery out.
Adventurer

your option   just a suggestion.  tuck it all away each time you do not use it   lucky for me I am good with minimal drain so nut sure why  some have it and some don;t  stil lrunning FW 1.51 and happy.

Highlighted
Tourist

If you don't have a battery on the GoPro the clock/date will be reset, and you'll have to manually configure it when you put the battery back in.  So it is definitely not a solution for me.  I personally don't mind battery drain that is predictible (2-5% per day)..... what kills me is completely battery drain (from 100% to 0%) in a short period of time (overnight, or a few hours).  I've seen complete battery drain in just 2 hours.