Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

The last few firmware update notes didn't even mention the issue so I don't think it's something that can be fixed on the software side. Maybe it's something with the power button.

Highlighted
Explorer

More likely it has to do with the Pericom PI3USB9281 chip that handles power management. GoPro may write the underlying camera and handling of the image data software, the actual chip hardware and instruction sets are created by other companies (in this case, Diodes Incorporated).
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi,heres a link but note the always on bit

https://gethypoxic.com/blogs/technical/gopro-hero7-teardown

I did actually come across another one but can't find it I'm sure a different usb controller chip was present  in that youtube post

cheers,Brent

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Highlighted
Tourist

Well clearly not gonna do anything.
It works great as long as you take the battery out.
Highlighted
Adventurer

your option   just a suggestion.  tuck it all away each time you do not use it   lucky for me I am good with minimal drain so nut sure why  some have it and some don;t  stil lrunning FW 1.51 and happy.

Highlighted
Tourist

If you don't have a battery on the GoPro the clock/date will be reset, and you'll have to manually configure it when you put the battery back in.  So it is definitely not a solution for me.  I personally don't mind battery drain that is predictible (2-5% per day)..... what kills me is completely battery drain (from 100% to 0%) in a short period of time (overnight, or a few hours).  I've seen complete battery drain in just 2 hours.

Highlighted
Tourist

I am having the same issue. Fully charged, put it all back in the protective case and get it ready, went to turn it on next morning and nada. Battery was dead. It was only in the bag turned off mind you, for overnight so I'm not sure how long it actually took, but honestly, a battery should last a lot longer than that. And when off it should be completely off. I don't see the need for any of the auto turn on/off by voice or otherwise features and I'd probably only use those when really needed, so that's all off too. The only thing I did not turn off were all LED's I as well have the beep sound to lowest, but that shouldn't be the issue nor the LED's since none were on when the camera was off. If it's wifi, wtf is it doing connecting to wifi when it's off? Certainly you could update it when it's turned on the next time yes? 

Also my date and time were fine. So I'm not sure what that other guy was talking about losing that data when he took the battery out, but I did not have that problem. I'm just a bit concerned about this draining so fast. It charges really fast, but still. And then in the protective case it comes in, why oh why would you not make it so you can open the side charging panel? Why do I need to remove it to have access?